1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter Build Off 2018 - The Rickenthingy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBS_Johnson, Dec 21, 2017.

1. This will be my first build, and my entry into the Winter Build Off 2018. I`m planning on a Ric inspired build, but a medium scale. It`s going to have a bolt on neck, and generally be built more like a heavily chambered Fender. The pickups are Gibson humbuckers, placement yet to be determined. It`ll be a four string, and I`m thinking about tuning it BEAD.

Bodystyle: Ric 4003ish
    Construction: Bolt on, five piece maple/walnut
    Fingerboard: Rocklite(LMII)
    Materials: Claro Walnut, Black Walnut, Maple, Rocklite
    Scale: 32”
    Pickups: Gibson LP bass pickups
    Controls: 2 volumes, 1 tone, kill switch, maybe series switch
    Bridge: Generic eBay Fender bridge
    Tuners: NOS Grover Titans
    Finish: Tru-Oil

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I`m doing. Don`t try this at home. Professional driver, closed course.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. A big thanks to rojo412, moonshinegtrs, and Gilmourisgod for wood, parts, and help so far!

Pictures:
    20171221_133301.

20171221_133309.

I've got something special planned for the two tops you see here, I'll go into detail later. The flash shows the figuring better than without.

20171221_133317.

20171221_133332.

20171221_133323.

I've never had this many new parts coming in! Everything other than the pickups and pots is new.

20171221_133347.

Thanks for following along.
    -Jake

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sounds like an interesting mashup!

4. It should be interesting. Although your build will be closer to a real Ric from the sounds of it.

I'll also be forced to fix any screw ups, as I don't have enough wood to scrap it and start over.

dukeorock and ctmullins like this.
  5. Looking good already. Since this is a competition, I'll be giving out terrible advice to anyone who asks. :roflmao:

BTW the best way to prepare wood for working is by soaking it in warm water overnight. Definitely do that.

6. I've heard that really softens it up so it works easier. Helps prevent tearout too :smug:

Novarocker and Gilmourisgod like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I read that smearing silicone based hand lotion all over it is the the best wood preparation. It “feeds” the wood so it doesn’t get all shagged out during its arduous transition into bassdom. Yep.

Yay Ric inspired build! Getting kinda lonely over in Hossenfeffer Land.

dukeorock and RBS_Johnson like this.
  8. Small update. I got the fretboard ordered from LMII. My wife convinced me to go with a Rocklite board for the jet black look. So it's on it's way. I won't get much else done until the 29th or so.

dukeorock and reverendrally like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Curious to see the Rocklite ebony, been planning an Alembic style build with ebony FB, but it’s hard to find it jet black. I used an LMI pre slotted board too, nice quality and very clean work.

dukeorock likes this.
  10. I'm curious as well, it was a little pricey. I likely won't build another bass for a while though, so what's an extra $10? I think the jet black will look good with the arrangement(and inlays) I have planned.

dukeorock likes this.
  11. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    How about nice thick black block inlays?

dukeorock likes this.
  12. I think black would get lost on the rocklite, but blocks are cool. Another build perhaps. I've already ordered my inlays for this one. For my first build I wanted to keep it simple.

dukeorock likes this.
  13. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Oh, I assumed the fretboard was gonna be maple coloured. :D You're thinking dots?

dukeorock likes this.
  14. That was the original plan, but my wife talked me into the nice synthetic ebony for this one(yes I'm blaming her :roflmao:).

Ya, dots for this one. I happen to have a lot of round drill bits and no square or triangle ones ;) I've got something interesting planned though, once my inlays get here from the UK I'll post a picture of the idea(s).

Felken and dukeorock like this.
  15. Looking forward to seeing what you do here.

P.s. I have to once again reflect on the squillions of $$$$ that Ric would make if their business plan included the words "real world" and "flexibility". Imagine a genuine Ric pawn shop series... Oh well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  16. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Imagine one day, we have a "Rickenbacker" build off with an endorsement from John Hall

dukeorock, Beej and RBS_Johnson like this.
  17. Oh, I'm sure he'd do that now. It's just that all the endorsement letters would read, "cease and desist". :(

BritFunk, Guiseppe, dukeorock and 5 others like this.
  18. :roflmao: my coworkers are looking at me funny now. Just read this on break...

Also, for anyone who's curious I'm keeping a fairly accurate record of the cost of this build, just parts/lumber. I'm not including tooling, consumables like sandpaper, and the finish.

dukeorock, AGH, Gilmourisgod and 2 others like this.
  19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Log your hours. Materials are almost free, it's the cost of men that is expensive.

dukeorock, Novarocker and RBS_Johnson like this.
  20. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    This should be a fun build!

dukeorock and RBS_Johnson like this.