1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter Build Off 2018 - Walnut Free For All

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Winter build Off 2018 – Walnut Free for all

For this year’s build off, you are asked to build any style bass as long as the body is at least 65% walnut, and the neck is at least 65% walnut.

To enter the challenge, simply start a new thread using "Winter 2018 Build Off" as part of your title, and start building.

All builds should be started from scratch!

a) We will be using the “Pile of wood” rule where all you need to do to enter is post a pic of your dimensioned lumber tagged with the saying “WinterWalnutWackadoodle” (Thanks @T_Bone_TL) somewhere in your pic. (See this post)
    b) Dimensioned lumber can come in the form of billets, neck blanks, fingerboards, slabs, thin laminates, and book matched pieces.
    c) Any body that pre-sawed and/or pre-glued, will be ridiculed mercilessly, tared, feathered, exiled to a foreign land, sent to bed without dinner, and stripped of all their wood :woot:

If you have any related questions, please feel free to post it here, or PM me.

I ask that you please put a link to your build back to this thread so we have a central reference point for all of those that wish to participate

The end will be on Tuesday, March 20th 2018 11:59pm GMT -6

You can join when you have time, and you can enter as often as you like.

Thanks and have fun!

List of contestants

1) Winter Build Off 2018 - Wallybird - Scoops
    2) Winter Build Off 2018 - Gemini 2 - Jisch
    3) Winter Build Off 2018 - 54 P bass inspired 5 String - GMC
    4) Winter Build Off 2018 - Walnut Overload - Rojo412
    5) Winter 2018 Build Off - 4004CTM - ctmullins
    6) Winter Build Off 2018 - The Rickenthingy - RBS Johnson
    7) Winter Build Off 2018 - Diva Inspired - Mapleglo
    8) Winter Build Off 2018 - 30" telecaster - Postalflunkie
    9) Winter Build Off 2018 -- The Magneto-Sonic Walnut Wonder - Jon Clegg
    10) Winter Build Off 2018 - Walnut Reprobate - Beej
    11) Winter Build Off 2018- The sketchy nebulous bass. - Englishman
    12) Winter Build off 2018 - Sct Michaellis Church bass - Mbechmann
    13) Winter Build-off 2018: It had to be walnut... - Big_B
    14) Winter 2018 Build Off - The Wingnut or Aint nut'n but a wang - bastav
    15) Winter Build Off 2018 - WalnutKarma Bass -b3e
    16) Winter Build off 2018 Walter Ardie - Scoops
    17) Winter Build Off 2018 - Walnut Grace 6 - Beej
    18) Winter Build-Off: The Damned Thing - JSC
    19) Winter Build Off 2018 - Idle Hands are the Devil's Walnut - mapleglo

Again this year, I’m lining up prizes. I’ll let the cat out of the bag once the voting is near complete.

Fine print
    Please note that this build off is being run independently, with NO SPONSORSHIP.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    BobHodge, Laurent, hombass and 6 others like this.
  2. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
  3. sing-modulator

sing-modulator Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    Walnut is hip, but have you ever worked with holly? I recall a thread where you mention it, but it’s an old thread that could really use an update ;)

RBS_Johnson likes this.

4. I'm in, I'll post my thread after I get up later today ;)

-Jake

Fat Freddy and paul like this.
  5. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Yes
    This/that (holly build) is me with ADD and the way I build.

My primary focus will be on this. Holly is not forgotten. Did some sanding on her the other night

RBS_Johnson and Zane DeBord like this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Fat Freddy and postalflunkie like this.
  7. b3e

b3e

Sep 5, 2017
    Warsaw, Poland
    Fingers crossed for all! It will be a great pleasure to follow all those great builds and ideas!:)

Fat Freddy likes this.
  8. You've already got a link to mine up. I'm very excited about this, got to remember to measure 7 or 8 times, cut once, sand forever...

-Jake

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
  10. postalflunkie

postalflunkie Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Westerville, Ohio
    Count me in! Will post picks and specks after delivering Christmas cards and Amazon box's

All the mail got delivered now on to more important things... it's official, I'm in
    Winter Build Off 2018 - 30" telecaster

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Fat Freddy likes this.
  11. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    aw crud. just when I get the inspiration to build a hollow archtop Bass VI using materials at hand (don't ask for a reason, there isn't one) somebody start's a challenge to make me actually do it.

Can't I just wait until @postalflunkie finished his build and steal his?

Technically, I can't join in until I go and buy some raw lumber - bummer.

Edit - wait a sec... this thread has only been open 18 hours and there are already 8 contestants who already have pictures of sufficient raw walnut lumber!?! I would normally call "shenanigans" but this is full scale conspiracy!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Fat Freddy and Beej like this.
  12. Scoops gave us a couple months heads up. Plus we were expecting some kind of contest to follow up last year's winter build off.

13. 2groggy

2groggy

Jan 17, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I seem to have missed the memo. I have to get holiday shopping for walnut :thumbsup:

RBS_Johnson likes this.
  14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
  15. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I'll be joining in as soon as I can pick up some lumber. I just need the rest of the walnut...

16. Englishman

Englishman

Apr 26, 2017
    Detroit
    I just ordered the wood.. all I know is it will be a neck through walnut bass-thingy. Pics when it gets here.

17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Really nice to see ten builds with more on the way. As usual I'm blown away by the creativity and skills around here. This community is a real blessing... :)

18. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    @rojo412 has posed the question "How do we calculate our 65% walnut"? He further goes on to say it's quite complex.

He's right!

As I sat down and tried to document how you could do your calculations, I came to realize that the formula is quite complex when doing sammies.

I don't think we want to have us show pics of our thicknesses to prove we've hit the mark. I would not like to see this happen.
    What I do think is that we use the honor system, and you as the builder does what it takes to hit that mark

So, the intent of this build off is to have fun and utilize the honor system.

I will say that if there is a blatant appearance to be non conforming, I will discreetly work in the background to gain better insight with the person. Keep in mind that if I find an offender, the ridiculed mercilessly, tared, feathered, exiled to a foreign land, sent to bed without dinner, and stripped of all their wood rule will be applied :woot:

All in favor say Aye

For those inquiring minds, I'll post up the way I calculated my percentages in a bit.

Fat Freddy likes this.