1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Winter Build Off 2019 - Kubickenbacker

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rojo412, Dec 22, 2018.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    When you come up with a "Mash up" theme, you can either pick things that would work well together as a great design... or you can opt for the funny name.
    This name, among a list of many others in my notes, won out after the past three months of thinking about it.

KUBICKENBACKER

One of the definite rites of passage here on TBLC (which I've yet to fully participate in until now) is doing a Rickenbacker theme. The basic essence of Ricks is the fact that they are very unique and pretty much unapologetic about various things that some people aren't huge fans of.
    Its chosen mash partner for this is Kubicki, which is oddly similar AND worlds apart. Both have very similar specs when it comes to body size (19-3/4" x 13.5", about 1.5" thick), body wood (maple), non-34" scale lengths, and both were pretty well known in the 80s.
    Although the large difference in chosen specs and over engineering is quite apparent on the Kubicki. You need a degree in mechanical engineering to come up with what they use to everything.

So like Felix and Oscar, these 2 are going to have to try and make it work.

PLANS:
    My general goal is to try and make the 2 of these designs mesh together with each of their own personal touches whenever possible. But it wouldn't be my own nuttiness without my personal touches and possibly a little snark thrown in, so expect a few things to make you chortle as this moves along.

- Maple body
    I'll probably be chambering it for weight redux, but the finish will be a solid color at the end, so it's not going to be overly gorgeous on its own.

- Shape
    The general concept in my head is to make a bass that would have been Phil Kubicki's take on building his version of a Rick. So I'm doing my best to make both of those live in one instrument, adding my own artistic license as needed.

- Multilaminate neck

Oh yeah... I'm trying the Kubicki plywood technique. Could it fail? Yeah!
    (It failed)
    - Went with a 13 piece neck, maple and walnut.

This is going to be a 5 string as well. Though neither company was terribly well celebrated for their 5 strings, I have more 4s than I need and some of the parts I had here were 5 string, so this is a 5er.

- Drop Tuner
    It wouldn't be a Kubicki without it. It's completely pointless in the real world and will likely cause me fits, but I want - no, I NEED - to make that happen.
    You heard it right, a 37+" scale drop A string will be on this.
    And yes, there will be a Rick-inspired "headstock" involved, but since this will be using a headless tuning system, it will only serve to clamp the strings in.
    EDIT: This part may be deleted or altered, as the headstock impedes any playing of the B flat area.
    But I'm thinking about a different way to drop tuning, we'll see if it works.

Oh, and per request, there will be a beer opener involved in the headstock.

I'll add more as things progress. But to tide you over and whet the appetite, here's my initial concept drawings...

FullSizeRender.

IMG_4976.JPG
    kbacker2. IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4981.JPG

And hey... good luck to everyone this year! This is my favorite thing to do every year, I look forward to it starting the day after the last one ends. Being involved is a blast, but watching what all the people accomplish here is really a fantastic show.

WBO19!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Forgot to put the official proof picture here, with what could be my wood pile of some sort.

IMG_4982.JPG
    And as a throwback to older build offs, as well as an ominous sign of the season, here's a "hair is ready for the build off" style pose, showing off where a stocking hanger fell off the window sill and cracked me on the head:

IMG_4984.JPG

I'm gonna need some egg nog for this pain, with LOTS of bourbon.
    In fact... forget the nog, just give me the bourbon.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Throw in a little MIJ inspiration and it could be a Kabukibacker :roflmao:

3. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
  4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Rickenberger was definitely an inspiring bass, I watched that come together a while back. JIO is an ace!

ReasonablyHappy and themarshall like this.
  5. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I like your treatment on the lower horn.

Drop-A! For those times when B0 just isn't low enough, 27.5Hz FTW!

ReasonablyHappy, Relsom and ctmullins like this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    There you have it, folks - the @rojo412 foolproof recipe for unbridled success!

7. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hahahahaha! Nice.

As for the lower horn, it seemed like the Kubicki vibe was a downward facing point. It looks a little odd on the Rick shape, but not that far off.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Drop A string... that's all I really got out of this post..
    I'm speechless. As insane as it sounds, I think I could actually use that quite a bit... more thinking to do... :D

Oh, and this build sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to losing to you! :thumbsup::roflmao:

9. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Subbed...

Love the headstock btw...;)

Good Luck!

ReasonablyHappy and rojo412 like this.
  10. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    This looks fantastic!! Subbed.

rojo412 likes this.
  11. GardenBass

GardenBass

Mar 11, 2014
    Western Mass
    nice!! Slick Rick-Factor i have a Kubicki and often thought about what it would meld with. looking forward to where this goes have fun and happy experimenting!!!

rojo412 likes this.
  12. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Color me sub'd

rojo412 likes this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Great(sarcastically)........... another bass to lust after that I can't have. My main player, Kubicki, combined with my latest obsession, RIC. How on earth did you know? You really want to put me in the nut house(?)... drop the B string and use a non-RIC tailpiece in your build..... Cookoo...Cookoo....

kesslari likes this.
  14. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
  15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hey... everything has its price. And nothing has been cast in stone. And I'm planning on a Hipshot tailpiece.

Beej likes this.
  16. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Type A(wink- wink), or that kind-of-a-RIC thing?
    Not that I expect to have any bearing on your design. It's just that inquiring minds want to know.

Beej and Scoops like this.
  17. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Headless

Screen Shot 2018-12-23 at 9.14.41 AM.

There wasn't anything out there in the way of Kubicki tuning in a 5 string and reverse engineering it would have required a PhD in Reverse Engineering from T.I.M.

And FWIW, I will explain all of the craziness with this thing as I go along, so stay tuned and I may just blow your mind! Or... wreck something, either one is pretty common around here.

18. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    B9685142-7E8A-4636-9161-2DF871C5F4B0.

grinx, Microbass, NKBassman and 5 others like this.
  19. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    +1000

Microbass and rojo412 like this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Well, my mind and my body are pretty well wrecked already so I'm ready to have my mind blown. That bridge looks perfect for the job, even though it's fitted for an extra string, hehe.