Winter Build Off Fanned Fret, Light Wave

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopkins, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I am way late to the game but I will try my hardest to finish this by March 20th. I already have all the material other than the neck blank so that should help.

This is a rough design, I will make some changes when I print it out full scale so I can get a better idea of how it will look. I will also hand draw a pick guard as I think that will even out the body some.

Its 35" to 33" Scale, with the 12th fret being perpendicular.
    upload_2017-2-7_18-59-51.png

The body will be poplar, finished in a violet pearl over a white base coat.

The neck will be wenge, with a ziricote fretboard.

A light wave system will be taken from what I consider to be a failed build, as well as the hipshot tuners and other hardware.

2. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Watch out for those pearl paint jobs. I've heard they can be a real pain in the ass.

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I am a glutton for punishment :D

I am hoping the white base coat will be a bit more forgiving than the pearl orange.

moonshinegtrs likes this.
  4. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Let's hope so for your sanity's sake.

5. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I've actually adopted the mindset that there is no screw up in a paint job that cannot be fixed even if it means starting over. So I have learned to be patient with it. But then again, I have already lost enough hair over it lol

Dadagoboi and tbrannon like this.
  6. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Do you have a sample or picture of the violet pearl you're gonna shoot? I like the sound of that.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    No, sure don't. I was looking at the pearl pigment I used on yours which is an interference gold, and saw they make an interference violet. That over a white base coat was something I knew I needed to try. I actually use the same pearl powder as pigment for custom pen blanks.

tbrannon likes this.
  8. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    In hindsight, other than the time delay, I think I am actually glad that I had to start over on your finish that last time. I had a bit of mottle in the pearl coats that did not show up after I resprayed it.

tbrannon likes this.
  9. mapleglo

mapleglo Warp Engineer Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Sub'd!

10. BTL

BTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Odessa, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Looking forward to it!

11. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Very cool sir!
    I just noticed that you joined in to the fun...
    I will definitely try to keep an eye on this one!
    Fan fret is cool...but a 'Light Wave' ?
    There's a bonus!
    Hey, since you are going to have all that 'real estate' available under the strings... are you sure you don't want to drop on a nice figured exotic bookmatch top? ;)
    .... Do a nice burst to frame it in?

(Feel free to say "shut up Rock"...if you want....):rolleyes:

Will_White likes this.
  12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Exotic wood in the neck on a painted body is the look I am going for on this one. But you know me, I am a better painter than wood worker so I tend to stick to what I am good at LOL

Rôckhewer likes this.
  13. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    On another note, I went to officemax to have my PDF drawing printed so I could get started on making the template for this build. The guy spent the better part of an hour trying to set up the printer only to find out that they were out of paper :banghead::banghead::banghead:

If I have any chance of finishing this on time, that kind of stuff just cant happen.

14. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    While I didn't get started on my build off build, I did start a guitar build. A friend of mine, and local musician was on tour with a well known band as a member of their road crew. While he was on tour, the house he lived in caught fire and he lost every single bit of gear he owned. So I am building a simple, doublebucker Tele as a bit of a charity/good karma build, with spare parts I had laying around.

Not sure what color its going to be yet, I have to see what I have, maybe a kandy over a silver flake. It is going to get a Deluxe Tele pick guard in black

20170212_201721_zps4spe10bc.jpg

15. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I like that headstock design. It reminds me of the old 70's Memphis headstocks on the Fender copies they made ( like the strat, which I owned a long long time ago )

16. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I actually changed the headstock design. After having it printed out full scale it was obvious that the head stock was way too big, so I shrunk it down some. Its still the same basic shape though.

Funky Ghost likes this.
  17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    No pressure there Mr. Hopkins, but I cannot wait to see this finish... :D

18. Very cool thing to do!

19. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I got the neck blank roughed out this morning. I am having @Bruce Johnson slot the ziricote board for me. I've never seen a wenge board do this before. The blank was a dark chocolate brown, even on the end grain, but when I cut it down it revealed that the majority of the board is a cream yellow color. I am assuming the board will darken back to a brown color in time. If it doesn't, I am ok with that too.

20170214_103033_zpslgtjnilc.jpg
    20170214_103019_zpsskqddymn.jpg
    20170214_103025_zpslae5bwv2.jpg

I had some minor tear out on the headstock. It should sand out without changing the shape too much. I will probably add some stiffening rods on either side of the truss rod before gluing the fret board down.
    20170214_103045_zpsquoerj1i.jpg

The body is larger than my usual builds, so I had to get a bit creative with the body blank to make it work with the wood I planed to use for this build. My shop is an absolute mess right now

20170214_105855_zpsbtzylp36.jpg

smithcreek, BeeTL, Dadagoboi and 4 others like this.
  20. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Los Lunas, NM
    Most definitely subbed!