1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Winter Build off - Mash Up - Get Ready

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    It's that time of year again!

Event: Winter Build off 2019
    Dates: December 22nd 2018 thru March 20th 2019
    Theme: Mash-Up

For this year’s build off, we will be venturing into the world of Mash-Up

So, what is a Mash-up and how does it apply to this build off?
    • A Mash-up is something created by combining elements from two or more sources.
    • Caveat: The electronic signal path cannot be considered one of your elements (Pups/Tone Controls/Preamp)
    • The "Pile of wood" rule is what we’ll use to define the start of a build. The “Pile of Wood” rule allows you to prepare your wood to the point to where it is dimensioned. Billets, neck blanks, matched tops, stringers, thin laminates, finger boards etc. are all considered to be dimensioned.
    • CAUTION: DO NOT cut or glue your dimensioned wood until the build off starts.
    • EDIT: Minimum diameter for lowest pitch string is .084"

I'm putting this notice out here prior to the start so people have ample time to look for the wood they want to use, dimension it, make plans, and get parts in before the build starts.

If you have any questions please post them here

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    So are we talking like FenderBirds?
    All the other mashups that come to my mind are pickup based.

3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    FenderBird is something that we are all familiar with, and yes this is the objective of the buildoff.

Odd that you ask the first question, but I was thinking about you and what you might do, like a washtub/fence gate/tire iron sort of instrument.

I myself am working on a design that melts a Gibson Les Paul Special, A Rickenbacker 4001, A Gibson 335, and a PRS all together in a semi hollow/Hollow body design (this is no typo >>>>semi hollow/Hollow body design). I have a differnt design as well. We'll see if I have time.

I want to note that we are not looking for pickup to be one of the two elements of the mashup: Gibson pups on a P bass, and the Caveat I list is to ask that you don't do that.

Cheers

wraub, GMC and Will_White like this.
  4. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Will_White likes this.
  5. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Ok I'm picking up what your throwing down. This should be fun, I might have two entry's for this year one more traditional and one more Junkyard Inspired I'll have to look around my junk pile.

Beej likes this.
  6. This will really stretch me in ways that I am not used to doing. I certainly borrow, but I am not sure I am capable of pulling off something that looks like one thing, never mind two. I'll have to think about this.

7. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    From my reading it doesn't have to look like two things at once just be a mash up of two concepts.

Edit: unless it's the electronics.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Scoops and Jisch like this.
  8. Like George Carlin said about that thing in the back of the fridge, "looks like meat, could be cake, must be meat-cake"

9. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Funny, I just logged on to ask what's up...

I'm sticking with the Gibson mashup. I haven't made templates yet but I've got it down in my mind...

This is going to be fun.

Moonshine :bassist:

Thumpin_P and Bobro like this.
  10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I've really been drawing a blank on this one, but I think I'm narrowing things down. :D

I first stuck with the big guys, then really spread out the research into current and historical obscure brands, then looked generally to the future and the past for inspiration, and finally things started to coalesce into a short list of things to consider mashing. One nice sideline was that I ended up inspiring myself with some design cues for some original designs that I'll keep under my hat for later. :)

Anyway, I'm hoping I'll get there... :D

postalflunkie and Will_White like this.
  11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    ...and while you were there, what were the winning lottery numbers for next month, and the stock price of...

Or does a future bass look like something Ming the Merciless or George Jetson would play? (and therefore retro-futuristic.) Inquiring minds, etc., as well as the vague hope that someone, sometime, actually makes use of last year's shiny black prize.

If the unthinkable happens I guess my current "if I..." would be a mash-up of a MLTQWT and an Upright, with a few other potential mashes in there. I have stashed some boxes for the all-too-necessary physical 3D modeling phase, as it keeps eluding me in drawings, and if I can't draw it I surely can't 3-D model it on a computer.

Scoops, Rody and postalflunkie like this.
  12. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I looked to the future, not into the future... :D

Andyman001 likes this.
  13. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Well I ordered some parts so I'm going to have at least one entry. It's going to be interesting I haven't nailed down a body style yet but it's going to be a single cut.

14. I've been contemplating that, I've got the epoxy ready if I do use it. I'm just wondering if it will be necessary as i'm planning a 5 (or 7) piece neck with mahogany and purppleheart.

15. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I think I just settled on one idea. Is using a purchased neck precluded?

16. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    So is a mash-up of two or more models from same maker ok?

17. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, this ^

postalflunkie and Scoops like this.
  18. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Could be different makers as well

19. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    That's OK, Just list your source

20. Ooooo...
    4005 meets 4004???

mikewalker likes this.