Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Winter Coat that does NOT look like a skittle.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I want a very warm winter coat. I'd like one with a removable hood and liner. I do not like the look of Columbia type jackets, with the bright colors. I know why they do that that, but I'd rather my frozen corpse remain unfound in a normal coloured jacket than look like a Wonka factory escapee. I'm thinking of Carhart. Any ideas? I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    For Winter warmth, I like to wear my Woolrich. Wool is a great material (only material on earth that will keep you warm when it's wet and it "breathes") I wear a classic type red and black plaid - it makes you look like Elmer Fudd (maybe worse than a skittle?) ...but I just took a look at their web site and it looks like they sell coats in a variety of colors, styles, and materials. (the red plaid and camo stuff is under sporting, there is more normal stuff undr men's) I think they are a great brand (My woolrich coat is warm, comfortable, and has lasted over 14 years and is still going strong - it's seen lots of sporting use) Their web site is: http://www.woolrich.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L0717B1860CF8E9324AF383E+PRD+ENG

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent thanks! I'll check into Bean and Woolrich!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I usually just wrap myself in the hides of my prey.

brad cook

5. all my coats have been columbia i think? one i had a while back was white and grey with a bit tiny bit of red and had a pretty nice romovable liner. didnt look like a skittle but i guess thats my opinion?

6. well, i usually pimp the hoodies out :smug:

but when it gets really cold i have a nice american eagle jacket. im not exactly fond of american eagle, but its a nice beige color and doesnt have the AE anywhere on the outside, not to mention it has a zip off hood and zip out cotton liner that can be worn by itself as well. so really i get a nice rain jacket, a nice regular jacket, and a really warm winter coat all in one. oh yeah, it was only like 40 bucks too, so good deal all around. :)

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Carhart has some really nice stuff. I use their jackets and gloves at work. They do a really good job of keeping the cold and wind out.

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I wrap myself in dead cow with a hoodie underneath. Leather works well for blocking out the wind.

How about an old bomber jacket? You know, the ones with the fake fur around the hood. I used to have one of them when I was a kid. Kept me good and warm, looked like a dork though.

Alright, nevermind DON'T get one of those. :)

9. you mean a PARKA?

ohmigod, how gay were those? i had one, too!

i picked up this old, shearling-lined abercrombie and fitch coat at a consignment shop. it's suede on the outside, shearling inside, with some animal-looking fur around the hood, and it goes down to my shins. i look like a major-league ho' wearing it, but i'm least i'm warm.

i also have a floor-length down coat that zips up the front and sides for movement. it's really lightweight, and great in the rain.

it's 10 friggin' degrees outside right now!!!

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Is that what they're called? Yep, they were gay!
    I had a mean mother, she loved dressing me so I would get my ass kicked at school. :bawl:

Thanks ma, now I'm going to need therapy! :( ;)

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought a Carhart on the way home, thanks all.

12. Bliss, check out this place: www.cabelas.com

It's mostly hunting/camo type stuff, but whatever you buy, you get exactly what they describe. I never had to return anything, except for size.

Take some time and go through the whole place.

Good stuff. :)

Enjoy.

Mike

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My buddy got tickets for the Pats game,
    Man, Foxboro is gonna be like Baffin Island
    this Saturday. I think I'll stay home and watch the TV.

I got this Parka, whatever you wanna call it, from
    LL Bean, that it is usually too warm to use.

I think it is the same as the guys in the Navy
    use on aircraft carrier decks, deep blue outside and screaming prisoner orange on the inside.
    Big hood with fur lining around it.

I usually act like Joe Dirtsky and wear a black leather jacket. A sweater when it gets cool.
    2 sweaters today, gloves and a hat.
    My Volvo has heated seats, which totally rock in this kind of weather!

Man, New England is really arctic right now, thanks to all you Canooks for sending us the
    blast.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

That's the coat I'm talking about!! Except mine was like an army green.

Oh and Thor, "Read my lips, no more bush!"

:eek: :D :p

Dirtster,

15. abercrombie. :cool:

;)

16. it's alla bout the hoodies my friend.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    But with the weather we've been having around here lately, a hoodie alone just doesn't cut it!

Layers my friend, layers! :)

18. I may sound like a freaking sales rep, but i must implore that you will do a great favour for yourself by buying a Columbia jacket. I have an older model (1998 - West Ridge) and it's the only jacket i'll wear. I don't know where you get this skittle thing but i see a very small amount of those jackets.

I spend my winters up here ice fishing and there is no way that i would go out to the middle of a lake, no shack, minus 30 degrees celsius, wind, blowing snow and ice without my columbia. There is no way that i could stand standing outside waiting for the bus at 6 in the morning in terribly cold weather to go to work without this jacket. The parts of my body that are covered by this jacket are Never ever cold. They're really functional, especially if you ski/snowboard or enjoy other activities out in the snow. They also last for a long, long time. My parent's jackets must be at least 10 years old and they're almost in mint condition after many winters.

good luck in your search!

19. Well, that's for blaming us for your crappy, diseased beef! :D :p ;)

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I go back to boston on sunday!

I heard that it's been highs of 9.

HIGHS

NINE!

even in C that's friggin cold!
    :bawl: :bawl:
    *falls over*