1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Winter NAMM 2019 (ultra Pic-heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wintremute, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm thinking you didn't see the movie...

2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I did see the movie....

In the movie it's a cucumber and NOT a cucomber....

Now go and take that suggested lie down...:rolleyes:

nixdad and Stevorebob like this.
  3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Mother's little helper; thanks for the spell check services.

dukeorock, Kubicki Fan and Fat Freddy like this.
  4. melloncollie

melloncollie Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Yeah I’m honestly really surprised that never happened.

andrew likes this.
  5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I live to serve...:thumbsup::p

6. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Late to the party, but great work @wintremute!

I think these are my top three favorites.

I'm curious...how do the smaller builders staff their booths?

I'm considering attending next year in the boutique section, but I don't want to be tied to the table for the entire show.

How does an exhibitor also meet the OEM vendors they want to connect with?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    wintremute likes this.
  7. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    From observation, I can tell you what I've seen. This year, for example, Marco Bass wasn't always at his booth, but whenever I walked by there were usually 1 or 2 people there representing (a seller and an endorsing player).

You could also ask @chowny how this works. He was always at his booth (as far as I could tell), and he was awesomely aggressive in speaking to people walking by. Sometimes there was a 2nd guy at his booth.

Rick Turner had a couple of people with him. @Serek_Basses seemed to be by himself, but since he was coupled with TrickFish, I think his booth was covered when he was gone.

Hopefully other people with more experience on this will chime in.

BeeTL and GregC like this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Most of the smaller builders I know have at least a sales manager. Many flesh things out with endorsers as well, as well as wives and/or GF's. Sharing booths is quite common too.

The boutique showcase is a whole different deal, and to me it appeared that some builders just traded off being in the general vicinity of each others displays. There were no amps in plain sight in the boutique section, but I think there was a communal demo area of some kind. I was parked right across from there for most of 2017 and 2018 and never once heard any sound coming from there though. You might PM Alan from ACG and get his impressions, he was exhibiting there both of those years.

If you want to meet with OEMs, a lot of that happens before doors open each day. Exhibitors with red badges get in early, as do some buyers. I only had an Associate badge, so I missed that part. But there are definite advantages to not having an Exhibitor badge too. In my case I was mainly at the show to support one luthier friend who I designed preamps for, but not being "married" to him meant that I could hang in other booths without getting any shade thrown. You might want to read the rules on protocol for interacting in other exhibitpr's booths, but I'm not sure how well enforced those rules are.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    wintremute likes this.
  9. chowny

chowny Commercial User

Mar 22, 2013
    Official Chowny Representative
    DM me and I'll give you a NAMM show primer! :D

Holdsg, wintremute and Passinwind like this.
  10. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    That's very helpful, thanks!

Great information, thanks!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that, thank you!

wintremute, Fat Freddy and Passinwind like this.
  11. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    The Terror and TonyP- like this.
  12. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I've attended trade shows in diffrent industries and have found myself in information overload. Looking at all the great pictures in particular, Ibanez I am starting to have that same feeling. As a buyer for a music retailer I would think you need to go there with a shortlist of products your interested in. As just a lookie-lou I could handle about 3 -4 hours then be in "overload". But a lot of gorgeous stuff!

BeeTL and wintremute like this.
  13. chrisred214

chrisred214

Mar 20, 2018
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    THANKS FOR THE POST, KID CAN SHRED.

silvertone likes this.
  14. I was in the music retail business for about 28 years (started in my teens) and back then, it was strictly business at the NAMM. Seeing your vendors' new products, making deals, placing orders for the coming year and then looking at new stuff and product lines that I might want to carry. It was an organized and deliberate trade show with a specific purpose. It wasn't the spectacle that it is today, there weren't tons of performing endorsers, girlfriends and civilians running about. You could actually talk to each other and didn't have to scream over the noise to be heard. This is why a lot of companies moved into hotel ballrooms away from the main floor so they could actually conduct business, or quit going altogether. Now, I see Keisel guitar at the NAMM show, what's that about? They sell directly to the public, not to music stores or dealers. The NAMM show has strayed away from it's intent which was music dealers doing business with their vendors. It's become a carnival of sorts and a general waste of time for actual music store owners. Practically every store owner that I know no longer goes to the NAMM show, they view it as an expensive waste of time and they can get the info from their reps when they return. I get the fact that there is public interest in the show but that public interest needs to be directed back to the struggling mom and pop music stores so the industry can survive. Just my personal observation.

Jim C, Fishheadjoe, BeeTL and 4 others like this.
  15. wintremute

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    @bebass, you're on the business side. What's your take?

BeeTL and Passinwind like this.
  16. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Well said... I suppose it is a great venue to build contacts and relationships with people in the industry. I have always been a big fan of the small business owner and with most things I'm willing to pay 10% more with the small guy.

BeeTL likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I lasted about an hour and a half before I got to that point :D

BeeTL, Old P Bass Guy and delta7fred like this.
  18. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    NAMM seems fun (of a sort) from the vantage of my house but it’s clearly gone the way of televised awards shows: mountains of sparkle and fluff interfering with and obscuring what the show’s purpose once was. Just the same, I’ll check out next year’s thread when it comes around. It’s nicely quiet here at home.

The Terror and BeeTL like this.
  19. Old P Bass Guy

Old P Bass Guy

Nov 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Like anything, when it gets to overkill it will stop being profitable. Then...?

BeeTL likes this.
  20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Thank @wintremute for that.

He goes above and beyond.

Jim C, s0707, dukeorock and 4 others like this.