Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Winter NAMM Bass Bash

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by DP/Earwave, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Hi Guys! Dave Pomeroy here. Just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to take part in the NAMM Bass Bash with you. You both sounded great, and together you are very scary boys! I was proud to be on the bill with you guys and hope to see you again soon. Good luck with the tour. Peace, DP

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Dave,

thanks for that - you sucked... :D

seriously, you were great. And your CD is fantastic! Can you post a bit here about how you did the recording - we have a lot of solo bass experimenters checking in here, who would really benefit from hearing about the recording process on your CD. I'm amazed at the range of sounds you got, and the quality of the recording - clearly all those years of studio work have taught you a think or two... :D

I've been listening to the CD a lot, it's great.

the rest of you really have to go and check it out at www.earwave.com - you'll have to see some pix of Dave's ugly mug, but it's worth putting up with that to hear some great bass... ;)

take care - see you soon!

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi,
    I think the correct URL is http://www.davepomeroy.com.

At the BassBash, I happened to be standing next to Dave, asking him about the Raven Labs preamp he was examining. Clueless as I was, I didn't know Dave or his music. D'oh ! (Very) unfortunately I had to leave before I got to hear Dave play.

so Dave, how are you liking that preamp?
    -Qua

4. Steve, Thanks for the 'compliments'. Coming from the (insert powermad dictator here) of bass looping, it means so much more...

I would be happy to expound upon the methodology of the new CD - thanks for the invite. As I am new to the whole TalkBass thing, where should I do so? In this Forum I presume, starting a new thread?

My website is indeed located at www.davepomeroy.com, as someone kindly pointed out. There are real audio samples of a number of the tracks from CD as well as my previous releases.
    Y'all come see us sometime!

In answer to the question from Qua, yes I do like my Raven USIP very much. I use it to blend the various outputs of my electric upright. The layout is very logical, the EQ is very flexible and the phase switches are handy. It works for me, and I think would be a good choice for anyone who needs to blend two different sounding sources into one output. Sorry we didn't get to speak more, it was a long night, and I certainly wasn't offended by anyone missing my 1a.m. set!

OK, now I suppose I must address the Wishnevsky Banana Bass issue. I see from looking around TalkBass that Steve W. and his instruments have created quite a stir, both positive and negative. I met him at the Merlefest Bluegrass Festival in 1998. He had a booth with a number of wacky/primitive instruments. The Banana bass was so bizarre that I had to have it, and for a most reasonable sum, it was mine to take home and unleash upon Nashville. I added a telecaster pickup so I could use it onstage. Its sound is best described as "washtub bass meets a berimbau on Lightnin Hopkins front porch". I have played it onstage a half dozen times or so, as the photo attests, and it always gets a big laugh and curious looks. It is not the most accurately intonated fretless instrument I have owned, but taking that into account, I have had a lot of fun with its rattly nasty tone. I did use it on my new CD, but only as a percussion instrument, a la djembe/hand drum. I have not tried or heard SW's new axes, but I have seen pictures, and it appears that he is refining his woodworking skills. He certainly is not afraid of doing things differently, and from what I gather his prices are still very reasonable. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Dave,

Pol Pot here - feel free to just continue this thread with the details or start a new one - if it's about solo bass, it's all good round here... :D

see you soon!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Dave,

It was great hanging with you at the Bassbash! Thanks so much for dropping by to say hello. For those of you who haven't yet PLEASE check out Dave's playing. He's a monster and adds grace and groove to every project he's involved with. Now I just wonder if I can get a Banana Hyperbass?!

7. Hi Michael, Thanks for the kind words - as ever, you are a true gentleman. Great to see you in Anaheim, but even better to hear you! Hope to see you again soon...DP

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey Dave,Steve,and Mike it was a great hang as always.and I will talk with you guys soon.
    Take Care.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What a graet night indeed!

It was nice meeting you Michael! and Jauqo! and all you cats.