1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Winters custom- too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dincrest, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    http://members.tripod.com/winterscustom/index.htm

US handmade basses by an independent luthier for less than the price of many factory basses? And a handful of TBers here (i.e. Drake Kennedy) say Winters' basses are of excellent quality.

Too good to be true? Who else has tried them? Who here is getting GAS?

I love the Dakota body shape.

2. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    They are pretty sweet. I'd like to see some "real" pics of them though.
    I'd like to take the SC3 single cut, added it to the Gaelic and gety rid of the bridge "spike".
    Spalt Maple top on Ash, maple/maple neck with block inlays :)

3. Jp Winters is a great guy, and is very knowledgable( that can't be a word) when it comes to basses. And there is someone on here that actually has one of his basses. his name is almightypancake i bet you can pm him for info.

and jp winters name is navybass i bet you can pm him also for some info on his stuff

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Quite true.

A stand up guy. Mainly a poster on the MusicianForums (Now the Sputnik Music Forums).

One can usually find him posting a thread or two about basses he has up for sale or new ones he has purchased (all in the non-custom range) all in the name of finding something that works and incorporating elements from each into his construction of basses.

Esentially a bass fanatic who tries to merge the best of both worlds, all the best things from commercial basses into custom instruments to suit the individual.

(Damn, I sound like his publisist)

5. yeah, that sc2 looks nice...
    doesn't that guy post here too?
    i thought he might have once or twice...

6. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Well his photoshop skills are nice. Don't know about his actual basses though.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    His gallery would need to be bigger than one or to basses for me to get an idea of what the quality of construction is like.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto on the picture issue. I'm not casting any doubt on this guy's abilities, but a custom builder worth his salt should have some big, hi-res photos up for perusal on his site, especially if he's new on the scene.

9. I think there's some guy who's making a more professional looking website for him at the moment. Sure hope the pictures will be better...

Accidentally, I found pancake's soundclick on sputnikmusic, where a winter's bass (Scarab) can be heard.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=413706

10. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    He might have.

Yea, that's me. :)

I don't want to break any rules on this forum with advertising or anything like that, so anyone wanting more info can email me.

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Looks goos so far.. One thing I noticed is that he seems to draw a lot from other luthiers' styles. Its not a bad thing... just something I noticed. Good luck to him if he some day reads this thread!

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Actually, the Photoshops are by our own Full_Bleed

13. He is a great guy, is helping me with my first build, has helped other people over at Musicianforums with build/repairs ect. He has said that his goal is to provide a custom bass with the quality of alembic (sp) at a fraction of the price. From what I have seen of both he has done that. At the moment he has six or so basses in the works as display models and will have pictures of the up soonish. He also just finished a strat copy for a friend, and it looks better than the real thing.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456722

There is a link to the thread that he made about the strat copy that he just finished. Watch for this guy, he is out to be the next big name and he has the talent to do it. Not to mention that he disigned the best on board eq that I have ever seen.

lowsound

14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Great guy.

15. One thing that I forgot to mention was that I actually bought a bass from him about 2ish months ago. It wasn't one that he built, but is was from his personal collection. He also did a bit of custom work to it that looks great.

Before
    washburn1.
    After
    bass1.

He was a great guy to work out a buy with and I would do business with him again. In fact I almost bought a Peavey head off of him a few weeks after I bought this bass, unfortunally finances didn't work out for that one and I am still kicking myself for letting that deal go.

lowsound

16. Hmmmm thats the cool guy from musician forums.com :bassist:

17. Holy Alembic and Carl Thompson ripoffs, Batman! :bag::D

Seriously though, I like the looks. Not really in the market for another bass these days, but uh...nice nonetheless.

I like the "Batwing."

18. Similar body styles, but I wouldn't call them ripoffs really. Different electronics, different body, neck measurements and such.

Personally, if someone would mass produce some scroll basses and sell them for around 500-1000, they'd stand to make a good bit of money. Definately would look nothing like what the average joe could get from GC.

19. Just emailed the man. Thinking about a fretless 5 or 6 scroll. I'll keep y'all posted...