1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WIP first bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MDKrinkles, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MDKrinkles

MDKrinkles

Jun 12, 2016
    Sorry if this is a bit messy and/or rambly. I'm in the process of building a singlecut semihollow 5 string fretless with mahogany body wings, a maple/padauk neck, claro walnut back and top, and a honduran rosewood fretboard. I'm just wondering if anyone would want to see progress pics and such. I'm currently in the middle of carving the neck to a point where I can glue the wings on. I will be making my own Kenneth Lawrence style bridge and my own pickups. It probably won't be finished for another couple months because I can only get to the shop once a week although I will be trying to get there more often.

b3e and T_Bone_TL like this.
  2. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Mr. Krinkles!
    Yes, of course....would Love to see WIP pics!
    Sounds cool!
    Slow is cool too... once a week... bi-monthly....whatever you got. No apologies.
    (Shucks... talk about "slow"....check out @Gilmourisgod 's current build...:D)
    It's all good.
    Or as my old hippie woodworker buddy used to say:
    ''It's all wood!"
    It's what this little corner is all about.
    Share, swap info, network... or just show off! :thumbsup:;)

RBS_Johnson and Gilmourisgod like this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Of COURSE we want to see photos. This is Wood Geek Central! Don’t listen to that disrespectful @Rôckhewer, my Build is not “slow”, the term I prefer is “glacial”, like watching an ice floe in Antarctica. With paint. Didn’t anybody hear that old homily “Slow and Steady wins the.... prize for slow and steady...or something”.

RBS_Johnson and Rôckhewer like this.
  4. MDKrinkles

MDKrinkles

Jun 12, 2016
    So this is going to be a long one. I have a fair amount of pics at this point so just get ready.

First are the early pics from when all I had was my neck and body lumber picked out and hadn't cut anything. (I don't know how to embed pics directly in the text sorry) Then I made a full scale drawing and cut into the wing sections so I could trace those onto the wings themselves. The wings took a lot of planing to get from the block you see in the early pics to the color and shape of the wings you see later. I got some rough shaping done with a table saw and then moved on to do the curves of the wings with a spindle sander. The wood you see at the bottom is the bookmatched claro walnut I'm going to use for the top and back as well as the pickup covers and cavity cover. It took a while to get the neck wood chosen and then I ended up cutting it down quite a bit so its mainly padauk but there will be plenty of maple left. The piece at the butt of the body is where the strings will go through and will act as a tailpiece to a custom bridge.

Attached Files:

Gilmourisgod, Joshua and T_Bone_TL like this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    There are a few photo hosting sites, I use Imgur, it's pretty easy, and I'm a TechTard. They have a function that's specifically designed to copy direct photo links onto to a forum like TB. Very nice nody shape you have there, I usually don't like single-cuts, but I like this one! Please continue.

6. MDKrinkles

MDKrinkles

Jun 12, 2016
    Continuing from previous post. I used micro mesh up to 12,000 grit and one light coat of oil to make the fretboard shine and oh does it shine. I love the fretboard and radiusing it the way I did was worth it (even though it took around 7 hours ish). I then went to going at the neck which was a bit grueling due to the nature of the heel cut I wanted. I don't have access to the most advanced tools so the actual heel was done with a chisel and a card scraper. In fact all of the work on the neck has been done with those tools. I'm currently just trying to get the whole neck level while keeping the slope from the body to the neck. So that's whats going on so far. If you want anymore specific specs like nut width and such just ask away.

Attached Files:

RBS_Johnson, Joshua and Gilmourisgod like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I can’t use a chisel to save my life, always been a file and scraper guy. Heh, last time I tried a gouge I managed to convert expensive rock maple into firewood. Whatever works!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021