Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wire attached to bottom of my bridge???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been sanding down and fixing up my old Moridira bass, and when I took the bridge off today, I noticed that there was a cylindrical hole about an 1/8" deep and an inch in diameter cut into the body there. In this hole, there was a small wire that didn't seem attached to anything, but was run through a small hole between the hole under the bridge and the bottom MM-style pickup, and then ran into the control cavity. I don't know too much about the electrical workings of basses, but I really have no clue what the purpose of this wire is. Any help?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It electrically grounds the bridge and strings.
    This makes hum and noise go away (well, at least most of it) when you touch the strings or hardware.
    You don't need to attach it to anything, it's enough when it touches the bridge when you install it on the bass.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow, thanks for the quick response JMX! The bass also has a two-position switch that I've never really figured out the purpose of because it changes the tone so little (there's a separate pickup toggle switch, so it's not that). Is it possible this switch has anything to do with the hum cancelling function, or is it fairly standard to have that wire attached to the bridge?

4. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    AFAIK it`s common.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Could be coil tap - or active/passive?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know it's not active/passive; the bass is all passive (no battery). I guess it could be a coil tap for the MM pickup though, although the difference between the two positions is very subtle. It's a very strange bass.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My guess is that it puts the two coils of the pickup in either serial or parallel mode.