1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wire Colors

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basso54, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    Quick question. I've got some new pickups for the Ibanez P/J in my sig. One is a Duncan QP P-pickup. The J is out of a Fender Japanese Jaguar. The Duncan has white/black wires. The J has Red/Yellow. Which one is ground on the J pickup, or does it matter. I've wired up automobiles and done some light residential electric, but this will be my first bass rewire. Also need some input on a Switchcraft barrel jack. How to wire it up properly. Thanks for the input.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The duncans came with a instruction sheet, they dont use the same color coding for wires as many other mfg do. if youve lost the isntruction sheet I think they are availablke thru duncans website.

3. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I know that the duncan's are white = hot, black = ground. Was talking about the fender wires. Anyone else?

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    If you're not sure which way to wire, just choose one way, attach the pickup to the pots with a jumper wire that has alligator clips on it. Plug it in and see how it sounds. Then reverse the leads and play again. One way should sound better than the other. That's the one you solder in. Sometimes manufacturers use whatever wire they can get the cheapest, and colors are an afterthought.

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Maybe someone has the exact pickup you have and can post the answer. If not the advice above is excellent. There are only two ways to wire the pickup so even if you have to solder it in to try them you will not waste much time and effort. Sorting through all the posts on TB to find an answer takes much more time and effort ... :D

Ken

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Often you can tell by looking at the cool wires and determine which is coming off the center of the coil. It will be farther in from the end of the coil because it's coming from the center where it is the first wrap around. It can help with single coil hum using this as ground, since fender mags are not grounded and you are keeping the ground close to the mags. Other than that the signal strength won't be much different. How it interacts with the P pup is another matter. A p'up maker here on tb has said this himself, I am not such an expert. Experimentation will yield the best result.