Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wire Gauges?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Microbass, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Hey all, I'm finally getting that new pickgaurd, and I've deicded I'm ripping all the wires out, and putting in new ones !

I'm begginning to think these wires are cheap, and nasteh, and probably a too light of gauge, now what I wnat to know is.. WHICH brand would give a warm kidna tone? Would it make a difference in tone?!
    And most importantly! What gauges? ;)

Cheers ! :D

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What wires are you talking about?

Are you talking about the strings or the wires which connect the electronics with the pickups?

3. Lol.. Sorry didnt think about that..

Yes, I am talking about the electronical part of the bass... earthing, pickups and preamp..

Cheers :D

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    OK.....

I might be wrong but I don´t think that different gauges of wire make the bass sound warmer or anything like that, nor will it make any difference in tone.

But cheap wires as such can make the pickups noisy or make them suspectable to interferance.

I recommend you go to your local electronics dealer and explain what you want to do and have them recommend appropiate wires for you.

5. better wires won't make a difference in tone (i.e. warmer or brighter), but they will eliminate loss of signal and reduction in noise which will translate to a better sound.

Icez touched on most of this...i'm just elaborating

6. It wont make too much of a difference. Unless the bass is old and you wish to replace them. Technology has improved considerably and may reduce some noise. But eh not really. Just make sure you get i think its gauge 21 (it may be different in Australia), its braided, as in lots of strands and no shielding.

Make sure you twist and tin the ends of the wires before you solder, and make sure there is enough slack and stress relief on the wiring.

:D:D

Merls

7. Cheers guys!

Merlin, I always "tin" the wires - instead of twisting them, I put solder on the wire, before I attach it to anything... My dad tought me this..

8. good good, yes twist and tin them. If you need to bend any of the wire ends, use a small pair of needle nose pliers. Depends on how good you want it. The place where i study is sooo anal about it.

"Clean with isopropal, tin, solder, clean again" takes 10 minutes per joint hmm!

Merls

9. Yep.. sounds like my dad!

:D

10. Son? SON!? get back to bed boy before i make you scrub that floor again with the tothbrush!

heehee

Merls

11. Sorry. :p

I was thinking about using thicker wires. I'm not sure on the gauge right now, but I used them for RC car racing. Now I'm wondering, will this affect my bass?

12. It shouldnt effect the bass, just make it more cramped and "rats nest" looking. Unless of course you solder it all with enough slack, then loom them together and use two or three cable ties.

Merls

13. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    What do you mean when you say "tin the wires?" what is it to "tin?"

I'm going to attempt my first wiring project tommorow, so I need any help I can get.

14. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    wire guage in your bass makes little difference, consider the length of extremely fine wire in the pickups, a foot of wire of any guage added in the cavity is of no significance to the signal.
    jeff

15. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Definition of "tin the wires": Heat each wire individually and apply solder to each wire individually.

Then, you are ready to join the wires permanently by holding or clipping them together and applying heat. You only have to hold the solder gun on the joint for a moment or two before you notice the solder begin to melt (tinned previously). You may wish to add a little more solder. You should remove the solder gun at this point in time, and a "good" joint will look shiny.

Be careful not to move the joint for a until the solder sets.

Do the same thing for pots. Also, it's a good idea to scrape the pot clean with a pocket knife so you have a shiny, unoxidized bare metal surface for the solder to bond to.