1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wire route

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stanger503, Aug 29, 2007.

1. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    ok well i think that it is possible for me to build my own bass....lol but the biggest thing that i think of everytime is that i have no clue how to put the route going from the pickups to the control cavity. can someone explain? and if you feel like it the truss rod as well, but i somewhat understand that

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    wiring routes are pretty simple

Tele5P_1Y_BodyCavitiesRoutedRe.

for the trussrod, I utilize a bit that is sized to the trussrod being used. a router table makes this job significantly easier, but I used a hand-held router with a fence prior to owning a table. the depth to route will be determined by the trussrod you're installing

all the best,

R

3. stanger503

stanger503

Jun 13, 2003
    Leadville, Co
    well ok...but where how do you put the wire route in? thats my question and for the truss rod, how exactly does that work is it ike a giant screw and isnt tehre somthing about supports in the neck on either side of the rod? or am i being dumb?

4. ok, heres the deal. To route the truss rod you get a (usually 1/4" bit" and guide it down the middle of a squared (before shaping) neck using the routers edge guide, if you dont have an edge guide be creative and think something up. I use LMI double action truss rods and dont glue it in, It gets held in by the fretboard. If you want to glue it in use some epoxy at the ends. make sure you dont get any epoxy on the threads. Then put the FB over it and you're done. Now for routing the wiring channels. you can do this two ways. If you are putting a top wood on you can route channels prior to putting the top on, then once the top is on you cant see the channels. The second way which can be done on both bodies with tops and regular bodies is to route out the pickup cavities and the control cavity. Then using a bit approximately 1/4" and about 12" long drill from the pickup cavities towards the control cavity. Be sure to put a piece of cardboard or thin scrap wood under the drill bit so it doesnt dent the body while drilling. As for the bridge ground wire channel just simply use the same bit, drill down about 1/4"(under where the bridge will be so you cant see it...obviously) then using that hole to steady the bit again using a piece of scrap to not dent the body drill towards teh control cavity. And whalah, you're done, any more questions feel free: We're all here to help. And by the way, just make sure you understand once you start building you just cant stop.

5. oh yea, and the truss rod is like a giant screw that will twist and bow to bend the neck. And some companies like lakland use graphite rods on either side of the truss rod to support the neck even more, its just optional though.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Sounds like you ought to buy Hiscock's book "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" and read it. If you need clarification on these questions then chances are good that there are more things you will want to know when you get into the project. Seems like 95% of people on this forum started that way (I did) and it always pays off to read up and hit the ground running.

7. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    If you make a two or three piece body, you can cut the channel into one of the pieces before gluing, then your pickup routes will attach to it when they are routed.

Actually, the Hiscock book mentions that as well. It's pretty much required reading if you are going to start something like this.

8. +1 on buying the book. I used Martin Koch's "Building Electric Guitars" and that was a great book to use

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    See the photo above with the long drill bit? You drill from the pickup cavity to the control cavity. I'm sure Rodent thought it was self explanatory.

You can also drill a long hole from the neck pocket through the two pickup cavities, and then from one cavity to the control cavity, but that makes running the wires a little harder.

One word of advice... besides getting a good book like the one listed, you need to learn some basic wood working techniques. You need some tools like a router, and need to learn how to use one. They can be dangerous machines.

Building a bass is not as simple as screwing a neck to a body.