Wire types

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Coolcow666, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Coolcow666

Coolcow666 Ribonucleic acid freak out!

Jan 20, 2006
    Washington
    What is the type/name of wire that you use in the electronics cavity to wire things such as the pots. I purchased some copper type wire from radio shack and my o my do I not think it is the right stuff. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Liam

2. and my o my do my thinking is what kind of wire did you buy? stranded solid etc? As long as it is not too thin, like smaller than AWG 24 (the greater the number, the thinner the wire is) you should be ok.

3. Most guitars use 22 gauge stranded copper wire.

~Stan

4. moro

moro Geek

Sep 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm a big fan of cloth pushback wire. You don't need to strip the insulation--just cut the wire to length, then push the cloth back a bit. You can push it way out of the way when you're soldering, so that it doesn't burn, then pull it back to cover the wire when you're done.

Much easier to work with than wire with plastic insulation, and it looks really cool. You can get it at stewmac and other places.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021