Wire wool/sandpaper to rid glossy neck? Please help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by parrott, Mar 7, 2003.

1. I think I might want to do this, to my Epi EB3, to help get rid of the incredably glossy nature of the neck.

What should I know before I even get the stuff to do it?
    How do I know when to stop rubbing the neck?
    Should I just go down the centre of the neck, or all of it?

Basically, I think I need a guide to doing this - please help me!

Thanks in advance!
  2. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Just get some 600 grit paper at Home Depot and sand the whole back of the neck from fingerboard to fingerboard and from nut to heel. Just sand it with the grain evenly until the gloss is gone. That should do it.
  3. I guess it's the same for bodies.. isn't it?
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Scotchbrite wood finishing pad I keep around for just this reason. I don't know the grade, but it's very fine. You can get them at hardware stores, and they're less messy to use than sandpaper or (especially) wire wool.

If you use 0000 wool, can I suggest you find some brass wool instead of steel? Less worries with your pickups - you get little wire curlies everywhere.
  5. As thick as the finish is on most necks, it would be nearly impossible to sand all the way through the finish - especially with these fine abrasives. Heavy has a good suggestion with the brass wool - it's residue can't be attracted to the magnets in your pups. If you can't find it locally and steel is all that's available, just tape over the pole pieces and then brush off any residue before removing the tape.

I'd forgotten the Scotchbrite idea - that works great too.

Yes, you can do this to bodies too but why would you want to :confused:

6. Maybe I'm getting it wrong, but I thought the sand paper deal was the same method for doing satin finishes on bodies.. :confused:
  7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    How about applying some vazeline on the neck before rubbing with steel wool? A bit messy, but it'll bind the steel fragments, and can be washed off with white spirit afterwards. Might be a trick if you have to work indoors and want to avoid spreading metal dust.
  8. Well, it does create a "satin" type finish but with the back-and-forth motion of sanding on a large area it's won't an even finish. A neck is easy to make nice because it's long, thin, and can be done in a continuous stroke along it's length. On a body you wouldn't be able to blend the strokes and it would look choppy as the light catches the surface. If a satin look is desired, it would be best to have a satin clearcoat sprayed on top of whatever color is there.