1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wireing Aguilar preamp to single coils without noise?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mabis2012, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    i have an aguilar obp2 and some franlin single coils, how do i wire it all up to not make noise? do i need a cap in there? also im using MR gearhead schematics, there doesnt seem to be one that doesnt make noise, anyone know of any of schems i can use?
    thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    You will need a correct schematic but more than a correct schematic you need to use good wiring practices and shielding. Single coil Fralins will buzz when they are not run full up together. The buzz can be minimized by shielding and wiring techniques. Most schematics do not convey how to make the connections (star grounds).

Check out the guitar nuts site for shielding info. I think they also talk about the importance of star grounding.

Dave

4. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    thanks guys, i tried the mexican and usa jazz bass fender wiring diagrams from Mr gear head and they both seemed to make noise. anyone kow where i can find something suitable for the frans?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you have single coils, and both pickups aren't on full, you will get hum. You can minimise it via shielding, but you'll still get some.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Third times a charm David :D

FWIW:

I've never done it but a dummy coil would probably work, although you'd probably need one for each pup if you want to use them both at the same time and it will likely alter the tone some.

Never used a power conditioner but from little I've read, something like they may have some effect.

Often using something outboard like a Sans DI will cut it down some cuase to me they filter tone some and noise in the process.

For most part, anything that will cut the hum will alter the tone - including hum-canceling/noiseless/HB J versions.

Some singles are actually pretty quiet, most are in between, and some are intolerable.

Touching strings should kill the hum so altering technique will get you by most of the time - but it can get rough with slap, open strings, and up tempo. But often under those conditions there's so much going on live that any hum is irrelevant - recording would be a different matter.

7. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    yea i foolow you there. i have the problem where its kind of like a grounding issue, if i dont touch the strings its really noisey, but whn i touch the strings its quiet, do i need a cap in there? also i have followed the scems preety well so i think it could be just that im not using a cap.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

basically anything you do to lower the frequencies will make hum less audible and a cap can do either depending on the cap but a cap is not going to filter hum.

I just keep contact with the strings. I would not recommend single coil pups to guys who have low tolerance for hum.

9. It is not about the wiring. It is amount of shielding and the fact they are single coils. Split coil (humbucker) are designed where two coils are wired in series and opposite each other in polarity so that the noise cancels but the signal does not.