Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireing assistance please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 25, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am working on the spalt bass with 2 "J" pups I need to set up Volume Balance and Tone. I did it as the diagram I was set with the parts shows and in the middle balance position I have no output. As I roll either way on the balance it increases. Is there a link somebody could tie me to. I lost a lot of my links a few months ago. I have the Mr. gearhead link but I don't know if any of those basses are set up that way. Thanks .....t

2. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Should this be in another forum?.......Thanks ....t

3. First, make sure you have the correct blend pot. There are pots that will do just that, center is full resistance and either way will just decrease resistance on that pot.

If you do have the correct pot, check the connections. Blend pots are wired ( if looking at the pot from the bottom and having the leads pointing upwards): each pickup's hot wire goes to each pot's center lead. lower right and upper left leads are wired together and go to ground. Lower left and upper right go together and go to the output (volume or tone control, in your case).

Double check that you have the correct blend pot with 0 resistance to both pots in the center position.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    thansk I will take it into work and check that out........t

5. Yep, wrong pot if it works correctly otherwise.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think you have the ground and hot lugs reversed.

Some pots are to be wired as Wilser describes and some are the opposite. But if you got it backwards it would behave as you describe. If you check your resistances you should be able to verify this.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I think I do have the wrong pot. I ordered a new one from stew mac today. Impossible for me to find localy...t

8. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Check out guitarelectronics.com. They should have some diagrams. There should be a link somewhere for them on the left sidebar thingy.

9. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    i had this same problem once... i finally figured out that the diagram i was using had the wiring shown incorrectly, with the hot and ground reversed.

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    IIRC, the diagram for a balance control diagram on guitarelectronics.com is wrong. The blend pot diagram on the stew-mac site works though.