Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wireless bass mic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassplaya#21, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Bassplaya#21

Bassplaya#21

Sep 16, 2000
    Zachary, LA
    ok i drew a total blank on what they are called but you hook it up to your amp so you dont have to have a cable running in to your bass....anyway....im trying to find a really good one...if anyone has and advice or info or experience with these please answer

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i think youre talking about a wireless system :confused: ive never tried a NADY, but those seem to be very reasonable ( $price$ ). at my school we have SHURE wireless systems. i liked em. im not sure what they go for. i think audio-technica makes a wireless system. good luck.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I use an AKG WMS80 wireless unit. It is UHF. You can select between 15 frequencies if you are getting intereferance.

This unit is acoustically transparent. It colors the sound in no way. In fact, it is quieter than most cables that I own. I highly recommend it. I paid about $450 for it new. Mounts in one rack space. (it is actually a half space but there is a kit that fills the rest) It specs out as about the best in the industry.

Shure units get great reception, but I believe they tend to color the sound a bit by swelling in certain frequency ranges. (Nothing you can't fix with a little different EQ)

The guitarist that I play with uses the new EV UHF unit. It works really well also. It is also multi-channel and it automatically finds the clearest channel for you. I see those around $325 on ebay every once and a while.

Less expensive VHF units are not worth the trouble. Wireless units are certainly one of those things that you get what you pay for. Cheaper units are simply not reliable enough for regular use.

4. The FCC has a lower frequency limit imposed on all wireless rigs. I got this directly from a phone conversation with a Shure wireless engineer. It is either 50 or 55 Hz... can't remember now.

If you are considering wireless, audition one first. I did a Shure Guitarist audition with my RB5 and it cut the nuts off the lower end. I found out wireless is not for me.

5. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I have a Shure system. Don't remember the product number or anything, but it is the cheapo $190 job. Its not bad, but in a gig situation, they are difficult to contend with. They tend to pick up a lot of interference and cut out a lot. I have used it on small outside stages, but I wouldn't try to use it inside a club again.

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i recently got a Samson Series One UHF off ebay for under $200 bucks (retails for over $300) and it works really well. it's a little noisy, but that's to be expected, and it's nothing you can notice with a band. and i can have my amp in the basement and go down the road and it still picks up beautifully. my only complaint is that the transmitter seems a little flimsy, and you have to open the battery door to turn it on.

oh well, it works fine for me!!!

jason

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, here's the hot scoop, ONE MORE TIME. For bass, you need a unit with an audio frequency response that goes down to at least 40 hz for 4-string, and 30 hz for 5-string. Most of the cheaper units go down to only 50 or even 100. This will make you sound like crap. The only relatively inexpensive unit I've found that goes low enough (20 hz, in this case) is Shure's UT or Access UHF units. GC marks them at about $300 or $349. Either way, you should be able to get one for right around $300.

I vote no on Nady, no on Samson. Maybe on A-T, but check the frequency response. If you don't see it in writing that it goes below 30 or 40 hz, don't buy it.

Also, the Shure VHF units really blow. Get UHF. I haven't had any interference problems with mine, and there's no appreciable drop-off in the bottom.

8. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    There was a Phil Lesh interview in one of the bass rags where he mentions using some sort of digital wireless system that he felt was a better signal than cable.

9. I think you're talking about an X-Wire system. These are no longer made, it was said that these sound better than cables, and x-wire even made things you could add on, to simulate the signal loss of a 10ft cable, or the signal loss of a 20ft cable. Why they went out of busness is beyond me, they were totally back ordered, and i believe it was because they started building for shure? dont quote me on that.

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I heard that Sennheiser is licensing the X-wire technology. Sennheiser makes a digital wireless that goes for $700, but the A/D and D/A converters are only 16bit, compared with 20bit for the X-wire units.