1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless Digital In Ear Monitor

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bluewine, Jan 26, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I want to start using an I'm ear monitor.

What is a good brand and model?

What does our sound Guy need to get me up and running?

I am the only band member that will be using it

2. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Sennheiser makes an excellent product. Now a days, E Bay is flooded with cheap, Chinese **** I wouldnt go near. Spend the extra, you wont regret it.

3. All that you really need is the ability to have the "Monitors Out" also go to your in ear monitors. Most of them take XLRs. So, if your PA system only has one "monitor" channel between the board and the monitor amp, you'll need to split that signal or (more likely) get the line out after the monitor amp. If you have a larger system with more then one Aux mix out or monitor mixes, then you just can feed the line out from any of those into your wireless system.

My experience is that you generally get what you pay for. The entry level stuff doesn't work as well, has more background noise, doesn't reproduce the sound well, etc.

The other thing to look at is the ear buds you'd use. The cheap ones like you get with an MP3 player or the stuff for $40 at the local Target won't likely cut it for you. Then again, it might, especially if you're only using them for practice. The cheap in-ear buds really cut the low end out and alter it much differently then what the audience is hearing. If you use them live, get a set of ear buds with at least two drivers in each bud. It'll reproduce the sound much better.

4. BluesOnBass

BluesOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Holland, Michigan
    Blue- did you find a good in-ear monitor system? If so, what did you go with and how do you like it? Looking myself but know very little about it.