Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wireless for active bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by big papa pump, Jun 27, 2000.

1. big papa pump

big papa pump

May 3, 2000
    what's up everyone?
    i am wondering if anyone can suggest a wireless unit for an active bass (warwick thumb 5)...preferably uhf i guess - (i hear they draw less interference)...
    what brands? and where to get em cheap? musician's friend? -
    thanx - big papa

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Sending this over to Misc, where you might find a few threads on this subject.

-GM

3. emo

emo

Jul 2, 2000
    I've wanted to go wireless for a long time, but it seems like all the available units screw up your tone. A few weeks ago I had a chance to talk to Randy McDonald of the Tommy Castro Band who is now using an XWire unit. He loves it, and having heard him play with and without it, it does not affect his tone at all. XWire says it sounds just like a straight wire so passive or active basses don't matter. In fact, there's a thing on their web site that says that Chris Isaak used one in the recording studio because it sounded better than a wire. Not sure I believe that, but I have one on order. The only place I've found where you can order one is through TourSupply.com, but they're not delivering right now. I've heard rumors that XWire is in over their heads building units for Sennheiser. Sennheiser now has a model 1000 that sounds similar (they both use a trademarked "Quadiversity" antenna) but the specs aren't as good, and so far, I haven't been able to find one to try. If anybody knows of a source for XWire, please let me know!

4. big papa pump

big papa pump

May 3, 2000
    Thanks emo. any idea how much the xwire sells for?

5. emo

emo

Jul 2, 2000
    Xwire's web site lists the instrument version at $895 retail. TourSupply.com has them listed at $750. TourSupply has a waiting list which I've been on since mid-May, with no end in site. I haven't found them anywhere else on line, and the local music stores that are listed on Xwire's web site won't even talk to me about them. Seems like a lot of money and a real pain to have to wait, but to me, the tone is everything, so I know if I bought a cheaper one I'd end up not using it, and that would be a TOTAL WASTE of money. If this waiting list goes on a whole lot longer, though, I'm going to try the Sennheiser, if I can get my hands on one at a store.

6. emo

emo

Jul 2, 2000
    Well, since I last wrote about the Xwire, I talked to Lew at TourSupply. He said that since Xwire is building the units for Sennheiser, he'd be amazed if they ever made another Xwire. I went ahead and bought the Sennheiser, and it is excellent. No noise, no distortion (as long as the sensitivity control is set correctly) , great tone, everything. It does NOT sound exactly like a Monster Cable, the way the Xwire hype talks about, but it's not a bad different, just different. Less difference than changing pickups or brand of amp. Tone controls take care of it easily. As to whether it works with an Active system? I'd be really careful. My P-Bass has a DiMarzio Model P which is way louder than my other basses, but I don't know how it stacks up to an active output. Turning the sensitivity control all the way down is just right for the P. If your active is louder, there's no more left on the control, and you'd have to always run with the volume turned down on your bass.

7. My XWire sounds better than any cable I've used, up to and including Monster. I use it every time I gig. I only use a cable at home now.

8. Ooops I forgot to mention, both of my basses (Sadowsky and Lakland) are active, and it hasn't been a problem at all. No gain controls on the XWire, it adjusts automagically.

9. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    I've used a Nady 201 for about 5 years and bought it used.Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.I know its a cheapy but it doesnt color my signal in any way.

10. Oh yes it does. You may not hear it, but it does. I guarantee it.

11. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    It colors my sound but I may not hear it?That doesnt make much sense to me.Am I missing something?The only thing I hear is when the battery starts to die.Now if I were in a studio thats a different story.But who would use one there anyway?If I was a big time making a living at this I would put out the bucks for something like you have but otherwise, its just not justifiable for me.

12. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    "You may not hear it, but it does." THAT IS CLASSIC! (LMAO)

------------------
    (WARNING: THIS IS ANOTHER STUPID TIME WASTING POST BY BREWER9. PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE TOO SERIOUS!)

13. Been playing a Nady 201 on an active bass for 10 years and i honestly think it colors the sound for the better! I can tell a diff that i don't like when i use a cord. Trent

------------------

Keep it country!

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Big Pappa Pump, you wouldn't happen to be a wrestling fan would you? Big Poppa Pump, Scott Steiner is one of the top heels in WCW. (I know this has NOTHING to do with bass playing.) Jason Oldsted

15. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I ordered a Samson UHF Wireless System ($179.00)last Tuesday. The salesman said that Samson has a "3 Day Guaranteed Delivery." Well, it's been 8 days now and no Samson UHF Wireless System in sight.

16. big papa pump

big papa pump

May 3, 2000
    hey where did you find that price on the samson? let me know if you like it...anyone have anything good/bad to say about the samson uhf?
    "big papa pump" is a moniker my band mates threw on me because i am the only one in the band who works out, so when we play live they usually talk me into playing without a shirt - sometimes it actually works out for the better with those bright and hot stage lights scorching you, and sometimes 30-something, eighties-hair chicks take me home after shows (i am 25) but i refuse if the crowd is real small or the vibe is wrong - funny - we played at a redneck bar where they have horseshoe contests on the weekends and deer antlers on the walls and there was no way i was taking my shirt off there - anywayz - thanks for the posts and replies - i love this site - bpp

17. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I'm getting the Samson UHF at The Music Mall in Nashua, New Hampshire. Ask for Andy.

18. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    now they're telling me NEXT tuesday. Their 3 day guaranteed delivery took 2 weeks (thats assuming it comes in on tuesday).

19. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
  20. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Not only did it NOT come in on Tuesday, but today its thursday and still no sign of it! What the Hell!!!!!!!!!