Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wireless for active or passive

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Apr 29, 2003.

1. I want to first state that I just tride the search feature first to get my question answered before starting a useless thread. My question is, and I hope this is the appropriate section for this question, is if I use a wireless system like the airline system for bass will the unit be able to send the "active" signal to the amp? Or will it sort of try to copy the same tone but acctually convert the signal back to almost a "passive" type. A great bit of tone comes from my preamp in the bass and contributes to my overall sound and I think it even pumps up the output of the bass so the signal recived by the amp is as if it went through a line driver. I don't want to loose that "active" sound you know not just tone loss in the low end but actually a weeker signal finally reaching my MASA!!!!!! Does anyone understand what the heck I'm trying to say? I too do not want to contribute anymore to my already sizable pile of worthless doo doo!!!!! That at one time I was convinced I could not go on as a musician without. I convince myself that one thing or another will be the most important part of my rig only to find out it's usually a waste of dough! Thanks from the man with a hole in his pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    No, you won't be loosing your active capabilty.

In fact, it could be said that a wireless makes a passive bass active.

Most wireless transmitters are equipped with a trim. This allows you to trim the signal from the bass so that it is optimal for the transmitter. For passive basses with weak output, you can crank it open (can cause a bit of noise) For basses with very hot active circuits (my G&L L2500 was a culprit) you can trim back the transmitter input to prevent distorting the circuit.

On the other end, receiver also has a gain/trim. You just have to tweak it to get the best balance of s/n ratio and input signal level.

The only risk you run using wireless is that some drop off at 50 hz, if you use one of those, you loose fundamental. But if you searched the other wireless threads, you know this.

Chas

3. I just ordered a samson airline wireless for bass yesterday. I'll let you know how well it works on my active modulus 5.

4. IMO there's only one wireless for bass - the xwire XR905.

Unfortunately they don't make it any more but the Sennheiser Digital 1000 is a close second - and at $259 it's a hell of a deal.

A guy I know on HC did a frequency response comparison between a hard-wired bass, a Samson VHF-TD and a Sennheiser Digital 1000. Results are here -

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?&threadid=182078

If you decide the Sennheiser is for you, here's a link:

http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/Wireless/sennheiser/senwireless.html#1000D

5. Hell, I'll just post the pictures -

Test equipment:
    • Ibanez EDA-900 - Piezos off, Magnetic on full, tone on full.
    • to Spectraflex Fatso-Flex 10' braided nylon cable
    • to *
    • to SansAmp RBI
    • to TC Electronic Triple-C compressor (in effects loop)
    • to CBI 14 gauge speaker cable
    • to Sound Blaster Audigy sound card, Line In
    • to Cool Edit Pro 2
    Cable (green) vs. Samson VHF-TD (blue):

[​IMG]

Cable (green) vs. Sennheiser Digital 1000 (blue):

[​IMG]