Wireless for Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by glivanos, Dec 23, 2005.

1. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I need some suggestions regarding using a wireless system for bass guitar.

I recently bought a Samson Concert Model 77 UHF wireless guitar system and it is awful. Very noisey with a lot of hiss. I play in a Greek band and our bouzouki player has the same one which works fine.

Is it a frequency problem? Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?

My budget is around $300.

2. Dorius

Oct 30, 2005
    Go either Shure or Sennheiser. Samson will always disappoint you. Sennheiser is good for bass frequencies.
  3. LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Look for a used Sennheiser Digital 1000 on eBay you can get them for around 200 bucks and they are noiseless.
  4. jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    A friend of mine gets great sound using an Audio Technica 600 Freeway Series wireless.

5. Look for the frequency response on the unit.

I had a long phone conversation with a Shure engineer a few years back, and the (current) products did not go down low enough to do justice to bass. The engineer was a bassist for a bar band, and he told me he didn't like his own product for electric bass.
  6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First I would try your bass through the bousouki players unit and see if you still have the same problem. If you don't, send your unit back if its still under warranty. I use an older Shure TD Guitarist VHF with my 5 string and am very satisfied, but I probably don't have golden ears. When I was researching wireless units, only Shure responded to my e-mail inquiries. They said 31hz of the B string should be no problem. That's been my experience. I once recommended the Sennheiser unit to some friends. They do sound very good, but eat batteries like their going out of style. 2 hrs is about max on a 9 volt alkaline. My Shure runs 14+hrs.