Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless for Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 20, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've seen similar threads, and I've done a search, but I need a little more specific and detailed technical info on wireless. I used to use a Shure "Guitarist" dual-diversity model, which was OK for four strings, but had a lot of trouble producing anything on the B string. I'm looking for a new wireless that has a frequency range down to at least 30 Hz. Of course, X-wire is the choice, but I can't find one, and the mowfks won't answer my pleading e-mails. Their specs say that the low end of the response is 10 Hz. I've done a little research on Shure units, and even their best ones only go down to 50 Hz + or - 2db. If it's 30 Hz + or -6db, maybe I can live with that, but that spec is not available. I've also checked Sony (100 Hz at the low end) and Nady (can't remember, but not satisfactory).

So who out there knows one of two things: Where can I get a new X-wire, or who else makes a wireless with frequency response down to 30 Hz or lower? Sennheiser maybe? They have a digital unit out (licensed from the ersatz X-wire, I think), but I can't find it on their site. Help me ... I'm dying here, chained to my amp by a Monster cable.

2. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Go to http://www.sennheiserusa.com . Do a search for 'digital wireless' and you've found it! I wanted one myself but the frequency range used by both Sennheiser and Xwire is illegal here in The Netherlands...

edit: BTW, the freq. response of my Shure UHF guitarist is 20-16000 (-3 dB). It's good enough my my low B.

[Edited by Mo' bass on 08-21-2000 at 05:32 AM]

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    not sure about frequency ranges, but i just bought both a Shure VHF Guitarist and a Samson UHF System. I returned both of them. They "squashed" the sound. It became too tinny for my taste.

4. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Maybee I am 1/2 deaf of something but I have a sh!ty Samson system that is agood coulple of years old and I cant tell any difference in sound. Low B? No problem. Hmmm
    Im gonna go check that real closley right now.... I feel like a dufus.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks Mo'Bass and michaeln. Is that Shure UHF the $3,000 U4D? Or is it their $400 one? I can't find the audio specs for either of them. If it's the "cheap" one, that's all I need to know. Thanks again.

Oops, OK. I found it buried in a LONG PDF file ... the cheap one does it. Cool.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 08-22-2000 at 09:54 PM]

6. Is that the shure ulxs ? goes down to 25Hz, that seems to be the cheapest one that gets there , right ?

I'm in the same boat for finding a new wireless.

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I play a Warwick Thumb 5 which has a pretty deep low B. I used a Shure wireless, not sure the model, I'll look it up, and it sounded just like being wired direct.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The NADY I just bought off Whafrodamus goes down to 25Hz. Try going onto like www.musiciansfriend.com and www.music123.com to find bass specific wireless units. Then buy them wherever you want.

-Ray

9. How do you like the sound of the Nady ?

Low B reproduction ?

I did see some of the Nady's reaching lower freq's than I expected (on their web site)

I'm using an old handmedown Nady true diversity, but I'm not satisfied with the sound entirely, so I'm looking into the shure ulsx14

10. Did You happen to look up the model shure that you're using ?

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I haven't used it yet, I don't even have it in my hands. I should soon though, and once I do I'll get back to you and let you know.

-Ray

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're not. This business about wirelesses' frequency range is a bit trumped up. Yeah, it's good to have the specs low, but I think most Samsons are rated at 50 hz, and I don't hear a single difference between the sound of my bass with a cord or with the wireless. I've used their cheapest true diversity wirelesses for 15 years and they've always sounded great to my ears.

13. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Garageman... Let us know how you like it if you test drive that shure UXLS14 thingy. Having money to spend shouldn't be this painful :(