Wireless headphone options for practice

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by JEBassman, Apr 27, 2019.

1. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Lately I've played using my wired headphones plugged into the headphone jack of my Eden WT550 bass amp. My bass remains connected to the amp with an instrument cable. As other TBers have posted, that leaves me tied to my amp with cables that are a nuisance.

The headphone cable is especially short. I'd like to have a more comfortable setup, with wireless headphones. Which setup is best?
    1) Buy wireless headphones and a wireless transmitter, to connect to my amp's headphone jack,
    or
    2) Buy a headphone practice amp as a standalone unit? I'd want a wireless headphone connection.

I don't want latency in my setup. What do you all use?
    Thanks, Joel

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I use a stereo mini-PL extender to allow myself more room to maneuver (I usually practice standing so most headphones don't have enough cord anyway) but I've often fantasized on a two-way wireless system allowing freedom from both cables (guitar and headphones) with a single small transmitter/receiver pair.

JEBassman likes this.
  3. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi @ProfFrink , Thanks for writing. Your vision of being completely wireless while practicing through headphones sounds pretty cool. It would be fun to eliminate both the instrument and headphone cable. I could be content keeping my bass on a cable, but hopefully figure out some wireless headphones.

I still have research to do. The cheapest method would be what you do, and add a headphone extension cable. That makes moving a little easier. There'd be no latency, but I'd still have two cables.

I'll look into wireless headphone setups and see what choices are out there. Meanwhile, my headphone practice will keep me on a short leash. :)

ProfFrink likes this.
  4. JEBassman

JEBassman

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Solved with a compromise.

My original complaint was that using headphones forced me to be right next to the amp. I also had two cables, for bass and headphones. It didn't seem convenient.

However, I decided not to chase a wireless headphone configuration, requiring (potentially) expensive gear and probable latency issues. Instead, I bought a good quality, 10 foot headphone extension cable. It allows me to move away from my amp but still play through headphones. I'm happy with the extra flexibility and I move more freely now.

Wireless ideals will have to wait for now. Maybe I'll put them on a holiday wish list. :smug:

ProfFrink likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021