1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless headphones for tracking - anything decent out there?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Curmei, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    I have a studio space set up in my home. There's one large room that is about 30' x 20', and then a separate space on the other side of the wall that I use for vocal tracking.

I'm not a fan of the cable runs that I need to make for headphones when tracking, and was thinking of picking up a few sets of wireless headphones for this purpose. I'd never mix with wireless headphones, of course, but - to be honest - the frequencies lost won't matter when it comes to tracking the rock music that I generally record. (or, if I do get _that_ guitarist that complains, I can always run a wired set for them)

Does anyone here have any experience tracking with wireless phones? I don't want to go into debt setting something up, but would rather get something that doesn't sound like cans at the end of string, if possible.

These days, with just about everything being wireless, so I am figuring that there has to be something decent out there that won't break the bank.

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance/tips.

2. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    look into some of the Sennheiser wireless monitor sets. as much as i dislike sennheiser for mics, their headphones are just shy of incredible, and their wireless monitors work very well.

[DEL]they typically only run about 250 for the starter kit, and are expandable, plus capable of doing hardwires, IIRC.[/DEL]

*edit* wow have new sets jumped in price. they discontinued all the old sets i used to work with when i first got into techin' and recording. hrm. look around used. beyond them i haven't seen many affordable wireless options that don't sound terrible, or die VERY quickly.

3. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Thanks, Jake - I will see if I can find anything used. That's kind-of my fear with the wireless stuff - it will cost a lot and end up not working in a short period of time. I've gotten by just fine with cheap wired headphones, but as my studio space is also used for rehearsals - and the configurations that I record change frequently - it's not as easy for me to just run x cables and drop in specific areas. Also, personally, I just don't like dealing with the cord to the headphones when recording - a trifle, of course, but as I get older, the trifles seem to become more irritating :)

As an aside, I just noticed that I put this under "recordings" instead of the "recording gear" section. Apologies. If a mod sees this and wants to move it, please feel free. Reading comprehension isn't always my strongest suit.

4. Jake Saint

Jake Saint

Dec 31, 2011
    Mine Hill, NJ
    as a suggestion: before i started yearning to play bass, i was a DJ and recording tech at a very small radio station. One of the things we did in our recording room was set up a series of junction boxes on the walls, all leading to a central location where the board stayed all the time. that way, we weren't constantly laying wires, or running cables all over the place. each box was labeled, on a small digital board, and each box was also slaved to a certain set of "channels" on the board, so that i had individual control over every box, from one location.

slightly expensive? yes. worth it in every single imaginable way? holy hell yes.