Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless Help Requested ($300+ range)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeMess, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Hey Guys,

I saw a lot of posts in my search on wireless units and found out a few things, but much of it doesn't seem to be too relevant to what is available now.

Basically, my understanding is that UHF signal is incredibly important as is frequency range (<30hz). So now, I need to find a unit that is good and readily available.

I read a lot of good posts on the Sennheiser Digital 1000 series, but they aren't made anymore, so they're harder to come by.

X-Wire, but thost are rare nowadays and overpriced if they are available...

I also saw that some people are fans of the Shure UT14 and USX series. The USX series is more than I want to spend ($600 for a new one) right now.

So, the question is, what's the best wireless unit on the market today, and then what is best for < $600?

2. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    I got the sennheiser wireless EW172 almost a year ago. I paid somewhere between $350 and $400. It's been flawless. I have had no trouble with it mechanically or sound wise. The best as I can tell I'm not losing any gain or tone. Read up on it, it has alot of good features.

3. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    wat about Nady wireless setups..has anyone tried them?

4. KJAXE

KJAXE Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    FARGO, ND
    I actually tried out a Nady (UHF-dual antenna) before I got the sennheiser. Every time I played a note, a weird buzzing came out of my speakers along with the sound. I tried all kinds of ways to get rid of it, stood in a different place, stood at different distances, put the receiver in different locations, tried the Nady in different rooms and different buildings, different basses, different amps, etc. nothing would get rid of it. So the place I bought it from let me swap it (with a little to boot) for the Sennheiser. All is well since then.

5. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    +1

I have the new version of the EW172, the EW172 G2. Works perfectly!

6. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    They are rare, but I would argue they are not overpriced. Like me, a lot of people think they are much much better than what is currently being offered by manufacturers.

7. rynkc26

rynkc26

Sep 22, 2004