Wireless IEMs and tone - Did going to wireless IEMs have you change anything else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jharms80439, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Recently I converted to a Mipro 909 IEM wireless system primarily for practice. FWIW know that my wireless experience is limited to the Mipro.

In using the Mipro for the past few weeks (IMHO great solution BTW), I've noticed that I'm more clearly able to hear my tone/sound than I can even through my FRFR (flat response full range) amp/cab. I'm finding that some basses sound defined, clear and crisp, others have more mud and are less distinct on the note attack and sound envelope. Differences in strings (nickel or stainless) are very easy to hear - even differences in brands of flats are even easy for me to hear too.

The question of the day is whether any of you have you changed up your basses or live amp & cab rig to get closer to what you hear with your wireless system - or not?

Thanks for the help!

John

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have used the Line6 something-or-other 30 for about two years. I use it for about 50% of shows, with the same settings for both wired and wireless. Never noticed a change in tone. I thought for sure this thread would be about wireless IEM, because I do notice a significant difference there. It’s all the same to the people dancing though.

3. @Bodeanly - yep, should have specified (and already made the changes to the title/post). This is for Wireless In Ear Monitors - IEMs. Sorry!

I feel a bit like Homer...

John

Doh.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Bodeanly likes this.
  4. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    No worries. In that case, yes. I can notice a difference in tone between my IEMs and FOH, but I never do anything to make them sound similar. The more sterile sound of my IEM mix makes me play better because my mistakes are more audible through them.

5. Yep (LOL), I notice my mistakes a lot more too. :)

I don’t know if I’d use “sterile” though. I do notice my dirt & od more too.

A lot of it (for me at least) is noticing that my clean tone isn’t really that clean using IEMs - even when it sound clean out of my amp/cab.

Could it be the interaction with speaker cone - maybe. Trying to understand it more I guess.

John

6. My inear sound is the same as my Genzler amp/Genz cab rig.

If you can not notice these differences much with your amp and cab they are very much coloring your sound.

7. Yes, I do easily hear gross differences through both, but it is the subtle differences that seem to jump out more with IEMs. Maybe it is just an effect of hearing via headphones v. speakers & their reflections.

"However", some basses sound great out of the amp/cab and sound less crisp/distinct via IEMs.

I could get it if the IEMs sounded clearer with some basses, but it isn't. Weird.

John