1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless In-Ear Monitor: Quality + Inexpensive

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by michaelkoss, Apr 10, 2016.

1. In your opinion, what is the best/least expensive wireless in-ear monitor for bass? I don't mind spending money to get quality, but I don't want to spend $1,000 if $600 will be good enough and I don't want to spend $600 if $200 will get me something quality. I also don't want to spend $200 if I will have to turn around and spend $400 later on.

More details:

My band plays out about every 2-3 weekends.
    I am typically standing within 20' of the mixer but sometimes up to 50'

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    My new band discussed this at our gig last night. I suggested the Carvin for the guitarist & me who want to go wireless. It's $430 can be used in stereo, dual mono or mono. And the belt pack has both a volume & pan control. It's also loop thru capable.

EM900 960-Channel Wireless In-Ear Personal Monitor System

3. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Are you asking about a receiver/transmitter system, earbuds or both?

In my opinion custom molded was the way to go for me, but not all ears are created equal. The universals do not seal or stay in my ears. The Sennheiser EW300 is a good analog transmitter/receiver system, but not inexpensive. The Westone AC20 monitors work well and are about the bottom of the custom molded IEM price scale.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I have the Senn E3 G3 IEM system, going into 1964 Qi's (should be A8's as of today).
    Been thru the Shure PSM200 (discontinued and superseded by the PSM300, which I have NOT used) and Carvin EM900 en route.
    Current combination is best I've had, but I'd pick the Carvin over the PSM200.
    Whichever system you pick, I'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND get the best MULTI-DRIVER custom buds you can afford.
    Universals work for some (not me either) but you will NEVER get the seal to support great bass sound.

I look at it this way... you wouldn't listen to your high end stereo system thru crappy speakers, so why put crappy speakers in your ears!
    The single driver buds that come with most of these systems are adequate, but you'll never get the bass separation and sound stage with them that you will get with multiple drivers..

5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not discouraging anyone from getting custom buds - but I think "NEVER" is too strong a term. I get a great seal with my Westone UM Pro 30 triple drivers - bass sound is awesome, more low end than I need. You just have to experiment with the different sizes of included inserts (I'm actually using two different sizes) - and insert them fully. I used foam ear plugs for hearing protection for years working on jets in the USAF and while riding my motorcycle (wind noise inside a helmet will make you deaf) - so I am used to having foam stuff stuck in my ears.

6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    No, you are absolutely correct.. never is too strong a word... I should have been more descriptive.. .and I was probably thinking single-driven universals when I said that. The multi-driver part is a must tho' - IME :thumbsup:

tbirdsp likes this.