1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless internet question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fleabee, May 8, 2006.

1. Is there any big difference between using a wireless usb adapter vs a pci wireless card? opinions would be appreciated. Also, is wireless g that much better then wireless b?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    G is the latest and greatest available at the consumer level. It is compatible with B and A. B is slower, and not compatible with A. I wouldn't get caught up in all the speed talk since you rarely connect at max speed on a WiFi connection. Go with G.

The USB adapter is a cool thing, but I have seen no performance advantages of choosing it over a PCI card.

-Mike

3. okay, thanks for the response.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No problems Kip. Tell LaFawnda I said Hello! :D

-Mike

5. I would go USB, that way you can move it around to gain the best signal. I have mine taped to the wall :D.

However, some cheaper USB adapters just plain out suck. You'll have dropped connections and lost packets everywhere. If you do go USB, don't cheap out.

6. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI

G is not compatible with A. B and G both operate at 2.4GHz, A operates at 5GHz (and above).

Speed can be an issue depending on your networking needs. If you are moving files across a Local Area Network for instance g is a better choice. If your internet connection is 6Mbps down or greater 802.11g will help as well.

802.11b's actual throughput is generally a max of 5.5Mbps (I have rarely seen this and usually only in a test environment).

As far as USB devices I've had good luck with these:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=334340&pfp=BROWSE

What are you using as an access point?

7. I'd say that a USB adapter is probably alot easier to install, i.e. just plug it in.
    On another note make sure your wireless connection is protected properly from people scamming. It's easy to do, or so i'm told :meh:

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    My bad. Too many letters going on.

-Mike

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You could always go N and then be pissed when they change the standard, as the last vote was something like 45%.

10. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    I keep clicking on "translate this page" but it's still in Greek!
    All I know is I use the internal wireless (802.11g) card in my laptop into a Lynksis WRK54G router, and I'm constantly getting dropped. Has nothing to do with interference or my distance from the router; I could be right next to it and my laptop still can't find it to connect. Some days everything runs fine; other days I want to toss that router out the window!

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would probably go with usb, but that is because I already have one. The PCI cannot be moved for better reception. My Belkin unit is good, but it has problems with drivers. you MUST have the cd for it. no download on seems to work, not even the one from their website.