Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wireless network help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BlacktotheBlind, Oct 28, 2005.

1. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    just moved into a new apartment and finally have high speed internet. i'm having a bit of trouble getting my wireless router working. i had a wireless network set up back in indiana but someone had set that up for me and i really am not sure how they did it. i used the wireless network setup wizard but i'm not getting any connection when i use the router directly nor am i getting a wireless signal.

2. BlacktotheBlind

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
  3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    You weren't online when I added you. Oh well, maybe someone will come by to help.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We are going to need a LOT more information beyond "it doesn't work" to help you out.

-Mike

5. If it worked there, it should work here too. Unless you changed a setting? Possibly the router was unplugged so long during the move it "forgot" its custom settings and reverted to stock settings?

If they wont' connect, you need to use a wired connection to the router to access its settings. There's an ip address that accesses the router settings, it varies by manufacturer. It should be in the owners manual, or on the manuf. web site.

Once you can see the router settings that's half the battle.

You also need to see the settings on the computer.

The level of encryption must match (# of bits in the key), the SSID of the router must match the laptop, the actual hex encryption key must match between the laptop and the router.

Get a command window going (run, then type cmd and hit enter, or type command for some versions of windows)

Then type the command "ipconfig/all" See if you get an IP address listed. It should give you an address something similar to 192.168.1.100, or 101, 102, etc. If its a bunch of totally different numbers, its probably the default for your network card, it couldn't pick up a valid IP from the DHCP server in the router.

Try the command "ipconfig/release". then ipconfig/all again. You should lose the IP addess you had. Then "ipconfig/renew" and Ipconfig/all should get you a new one quickly, probably the same as before. If it takes a long time, and returns the same goofy IP instead of the one ending in the 1.100 range, the router isn't responding with a valid ip.

Worst case, find the reset button on the router, press and hold it. That'll wipe out all the custom settings. Set your wireless card to the default SSID (laptop should find your router and list the SSID), no encryption and it should make the connection. THen go about configuring it on your own. Change the SSID on both. Set the SSID to not broadcast (for security). Set the encryption to 128 bit, and enter the same key on both sides. Finally, if you can, take the MAC address of your wireless card (its listed on the card) and enter it into the list of valid MAC addresses on the router. Set it to only accept connections from that MAC address. Now nobody can see your wireless network (SSID not broadcasting), they have to know what it is. Even if they know what it is, you have encryption set, they wouldn't be able to connect to your network. IF they manage to hack the encryption, your router will only accept connections from your individual network card. That's as good as it gets security wise from a wireless network standpoint.

Randy

6. BlacktotheBlind

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    hmm i don't know how to do half the things you listed, but i did check the ip like you said and it's 192.168.1.100.

i also tried using the linksys netsmart to help configure the router, and on the last step it said it could not detect the wireless adapter on my computer but it was turned on and i tried repeating the step after turning it off and back on again. i do remember hearing about having some compatibility issues with my wireless adapter and either XP or the router but somehow they got it working before.

i do have internet access through the router now though. just no network or anything.

7. If you have an IP address, you are most of the way there.

Try command "ping www.yahoo.com" and see if you get responses.

If you have internet access, your wireless card ought to be set up ok....

If you're trying to share files and whatnot between computers (over the network) there is stuff you need to setup on each computer to allow that. But you should at least see the other computers if you drill down in your Network Neighborhood icon.

Or are you just getting connectivity to the internet through the wired connection, not the wireless card?

Randy

8. BlacktotheBlind

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    well it can't even find the network half the time, or when it does it will disconnect and then the network disappears. and when it is connected the speed is really slow, i'm sitting a foot away and it went down to 1 mbps. i tried talking live with some tech's from linksys but i seem to keep getting disconnected even though my wired connection is working perfectly. basically they just had me change my channels and generate a key so far. still very unstable.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Update the drivers on your wireless card.

-Mike

10. +1 on the drivers. And flash the router with the latest firmware too. use the wired connection.

Randy

11. BlacktotheBlind

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    updated the drivers and the firmware. i also retried the netset linksys program and it still can't detect my router using my wireless adapter. i think i might just have to call linksys and have them direct me through it on the phone. this is frustrating though. it worked fine 2 months ago in indiana.