Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless Purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRN, Dec 25, 2002.

1. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Buying a new wireless ($800 and under)and had some questions and would like some feedback. I have searched the past threads and would still like some info.

Most people mention UHF as the way to go but the sennheiser 1000 mentions RF. Is this better? If you have one how do you like the sennheiser?

I was looking for a rackmount version but I do not want to spend 2,000 for a Shure rack system. Does the shure UT/sennheiser or any other recommended systems come as rack mount? (in the above mentioned price range) If not can you stick the unit in the back of a rack and still get good non line of site signal?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    RF stands for radio frequency. RF includes the Very High Frequency (VHF) and Ultra high Frequency (UHF) ranges, among others. Of the two generally available for wireless units, (VHF and UHF), UHF is preferable due to less interference and other stuff.

Now, I've had very good luck with my Shure UT unit ($300 - $350 street, and now called Performance Gear Wireless), which has a rack mount kit available, I believe. Shure UT link

I think the Shure UHF series is still less than $2K, (although it lists for $2,646) and it is totally rack mount. Shure UHF link

You might also look at the Shure ULX Series. It lists at about $961. Shure ULX link

Also, I had the opportunity to play through a new AKG unit the other night, and it had a little mouse thingy kinda like the Samson Airline (or whatever) and it sounded excellent. AKG Guitarbug link

It only goes down to about 40 hz, which is low enough for an E but not for a B. I didn't have any problems with dropout on my 55-94, though. I'd research it, anyway. Also, its receiver is not rack mount.

3. DRN, I bought the Sennheiser 1000 a couple months ago. American Musical has them for $300.
    The first one I tried sounded great for about three sets. After that it compressed my sound just like a bad noise gate would do. Sent it back for another one and this one was even worse. Couldn't do a four hour gig without having to change the battery in the transmitter. The transmitter is well built but the reciever is made of light weight plastic. It is half rack mountable but you have to buy another kit from them to mount in your case. I sent this one back for a full refund. For the same money I ordered the Carvin full rack 7500 UHF and it works great with my 78 Jazz and 18v Peavey Cirrus. All steel construction front or rear antennas etc.. The Carvin goes down to 40 hz which may not be enough for a five string but trust me with a four string it is more than enough.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I've had a Shure True Diversity Guitarist for about 2 years now. Up to 14 hours on a quality alkaline 9 volt battery. VHF frequency range. The only problems I've had with it a. not rack mountable but it came with a velcro kit which I have mounted to the top of my rack. I researched about 6 mos before purchasing and Shure was the only company to return my e-mailed questions +++. I only find sound degradation when my battery is weak. I play both 4 and 5 strings through it. I did have an interference problem once at an outside gig where we set up against the back wall of an ambulance co. LOL. Of course there 40 watt radios bled into my rig. I solved the problem by shortening the receiver antennas and changing their orientation/direction. No more bleed over. Most VHF and UHF freqs on these wireless units are not supposed to be in the range of regular 2 way radio, but sometimes you will run into this problem. I will never be tethered again. No more shocks!!! Freedom to walk out into audience land and sound check, and no more tripping on that darned cord.

5. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the responses.

I checked out the shure ut series tonight at a guitar center. The transmitter seems cheap and looks like it would not take much to damage it. Does it hold up?

Does anybody have a recharble battery built in to the transmitter? I hate batteries. I guess I could get a charger and rechargable batteries.

I am a little gun shy on buying a wireless in the UT series price range. Not that I want to spend more money but the last wireless I bought was about the same price and construction and I ended up hating it. I am looking for a "final" wireless. If the UT will hold up and does not have any signal loss great but in the same breath I would rather spend a little more and get a great wireless.

Thanks again for you continued responses.
    Drn

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, what are you going to do with the poor transmitter? I put mine on my belt at the beginning of the gig, and take it off at the end. No muss, no fuss. It holds up fine. Since the frequency range of the UT goes down to 20 hz, dropout is not a problem. Not many others in any price range get down there. You might look at the ULX Standard or Pro series. Maybe they're more robust.

7. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Well the poor transmitter will be duct taped to my strap and not taken off. It will be going in and out of either a hard case or gig bag with the bass from town to town.
    I plan on buying several transmitters for each bass I use on stage.

Thanks for the great info Munji:D

drn

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a Shure ULX Standard, and it is excellent. I paid about $450 for it, but I got a heavy discount at Guitar Center. Definitely a great wireless, and it stands up to heavy touring without a problem.

9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Regarding the transmitter, I took an old small camera case that had a belt loop, lined it with foam rubber, cut holes in it for the antenna and controls.
    It has protected my transmitter just fine so far. The clip on the transmitter didn't work worth beans, and kept falling off my strap.

10. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Check out the Samson Airline. It's UHF, no battery pack. Takes a single AAA battery in the transmitter and a 9 volt in the receiver. You can also get an A\C power supply for the receiver. Cost is around $250.00.

I love mine. Cables? Forget'em!

11. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Well I went to guitar center to check out the Shure ULX and the Sennheiser series 100. Here are my visual observations and possible pick. I say possible because they said to check it out and if I did not like it they could exchange it or give me my money back.

The Shure ULX auto searches for an available frequency
    The Sennheiser you must set yourself.

The Shure ULX receivers construction is hard plastic.
    The Sennheiser is metal.

The Shure ULX transmitter is hard plastic
    The Sennheiser is metal. (heavier)

The Shure ULX frequency response 25hz
    The Sennheiser does not have a clear answer that I have found yet. I believe it is 35 or 40hz

I brought home the Sennheiser for it's construction. It is really well built. I will run test it this Sunday for the first time. The construction and the auto frequency search were the two features that were hard to decide between. If the Shure was metal I would have brought home the Shure. The salesman is going to check if the Shure comes in a metal transmitter. If it does I may switch for this feature.

I will keep you posted.

12. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Do you play a 5 string, JW? I was intrigued by the Airline for Bass....until I saw the specs. Now I'm a little annoyed. They advertise "a special circuit designed for bass", but the freq. response is 50Hz to 15kHz :rolleyes: .

13. I have one of those guitarbug systems that Munji mentioned, and I play a 5. You have to remember that very little fundamental is heard in your open B anyway, if you could hear lots of it, you would'nt like it. And unless you have a monster rig like Billy Sheehan, your cabs are unlikely to reproduce 30hz anyway. The guitar bug does'nt need taping to your strap, it's a tiny thing running on an AAA, and it just sits in your output socket on your bass. I get about four gigs out of a battery, but I choose to only do 2 so I never run the risk. I use high quality Proel Esoteric cables with Neutrik plugs, and I can say that the guitarbug actually sounds better than the cable. IMO.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Y'know, I notice on the AKG site, they show a bug plugged into a sound board. So how's this for cool: Get two guitar bugs, and plug one into each of the outputs of your mixer board. Then plug the receivers into some Mackie powered speakers (Like SR 1530s), so no cables necessary (except for power). Whaddya think?

15. Munji, you're demented......

16. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    rockindoc -

Yes, I do play a 5 string and have found no problems using the Airline with it. Of course, if you're playing a substandard insturment through a substandard rig, then you may have problems. I play a Modulus M-92 (now called the Quantum Sweet Spot) through an SWR SM-400 with a Mesa 2x10 and a Joe's 1x15. I have a Beringher Autocom to compress my signal and an Alesis Quadraverb to process any effect. All in all a nice set up which I am very pleased with.

17. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Curious to know how the test with the Senn unit went? I'm looking at the Shure ULXS14 and you brought up some good points. However, we digress on the frequesncy response issue. I'd go with the lower of the Shure. It's almost akin to the famed X-Wire, but I'm still kicking myself in the arse for letting the one I had go. Hard to justify $500.00 then, but here I am about to spend that again for a unit that I fear won't be as good. Oh well, we'll see. PLease let us know what your test found.

18. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I finally tested the Sennheiser last night. I am going to return it and try the Shure ULX or the rack mount series. The following are a just a few of the reasons.

The first few freq settings were showing a full RF level but the unit was distorting my signal. I set the transmitter gains etc still distorting. After manually going through some other freq settings I found a channel that would not distort.

After manually settng the freq settings this made me think more and more of the Shure auto select feature.

Finally started playing.

The next was setting the transmitter level. The Sennheiser only has increments of 10db. So if -30 is to low -20 started to clip. I had to turn the preamp way up to get a good strong tone.

Now everything is working and I did some walking around etc. My tone seemed slightly thinner. After playing for about 15 minutes I switched to my monster cable and man what a difference. At that point I tried it one more time and tried to change the eq but I ended up just boxing it up and will be returning it shortly.

The two main reasons for the return were the loss in tone and the manual selection of the frequencies.

Now to do some more research. This is the last wireless I want to but so I may have to save up a go with the Shure rack series. I am going to call Shure after the holidays and see what they recommend.

I hope this helps.

Drn

19. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    ^You've got a Private Message.