1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless Rcvrs w Pedalboard Pwr? - Update!

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by squish, Nov 18, 2018.

1. squish

squish

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Are there any pedalboard-friendly wireless receivers that operate with 9v-18v power? Would like to run one without another plug going into outlet.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The old Line 6 X2 XDS-95's use a 9v and you'll get about 5-6 hours out of an alkaline, but they've been long discontinued. Most others require too much power to use a 9v battery. But you could get a rechargeable high capacity 9v battery pack for fairly cheap and run a wireless that uses 9V power like most of the Line 6 and Shure stuff. 5v USB operation is possible on some of them too, and that uses up even less battery time, and with some of these battery packs, you could run for a day or two.

squish likes this.
  3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    You can run the Shure GLXD and the Boss WL50 on a pedalboard power bank or daisy chain...

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Certain wireless receiver might need a power supply with isolated outputs. That's what happened with my Audio-Technica System 10 Stompbox wireless receiver when I tried to use a power supply with daisy-chained outputs.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    tons of pedalboard-sized guitar wireless systems these days, usually digital. GLX-D16 is an industry standard at this point, i really like my line 6 G75 (desktop version of the pedal-sized G70). most of them will indeed need 9V but with more current, typically 200-300mA.

squish likes this.
  6. squish

squish

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    Excellent! Thanks everyone. I have a used Shure GLX-D16 pedal-style system being shipped that I bought in the classifieds for $270. A week ago I would have swallowed my tongue considering that price. But it seems everybody loves them dearly. One of my bands I now use a pedal board which is a new thing for me. I've been playing with the cable plugged into the amp behind me for 20+ years. But with this pedalboard thing I'm getting tangled and end up STUCK on my side of the stage, which doesn't work for us.
    The wireless system should not only fix the problem but seems like fun.

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's a score! on top of everything else it also has a very good tuner. just be sure to give it plenty of power, like 250mA.

the only "drawback" is the charging system. it uses a really powerful li-ion battery that lasts forever and charges up fast, but as the system comes in the box you can only charge it while it's in the beltpack. that means you can't charge the battery while playing, so if you forget to charge it up before the gig and it finally dies you're stuck.

they do sell a little external charger, you could spring for one of those and another battery and keep that mounted with your gear so you'd always have a fresh spare ready to go.

TheBear likes this.
  8. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a close call with the GLXD16’s battery once when I was using it during a gig (the artist provided the Shure, not mine). After that incident I went to buy my own GLXD16 system and opted for an additional battery for this exact scenario. Wasn’t too expensive and it doesn’t take long to change out the batteries anyway.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the thing i like about the GLXD14, the desktop version of the same system, is the built-in charger. makes it easy to have that spare charged up and ready.

10. squish

squish

Dec 6, 2005
    Atl
    I have a Godlyke Powerall rated at 2000mA which is powering only a Future Impact and a Keely compressor which should leave plenty of headroom.
    I think the power meter is a great feature and if it came down to it dying on me I’d just swap in a cable. The little charging doc for the batt is like $40!

walterw likes this.