Wireless system dream collapsed. Line6 Relay G10 doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MattLou, Apr 26, 2017.

1. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    Hi all.
    Finally I bought a G10 brand new (so called, the box was open) and happily tried it. Firstly, the green led was on as soon as I plugged it in. It means; used before.
    Then I tried it with my Warwick $$ 4 German axe and the sound was great. Brilliant and no latency at all. But with my G$L Tribute L2000=No sound at all. Surprisingly. And finally tried my Ibanez Sr1005 prestige (upgraded to a Delano sonar 3 ms preamp). Generated a constant hiss and whistle that makes it unusable. But interestingly passive mode works. Summary; I can use G10 with only 1.5 half of my three guitars. Strange. So I am returning it tomorrow. I already packed it up but just now I realized that I did not try it with my American Stratocaster. I will unpack and try it tonight and I will let you folks know?

Q= Am I the only unlucky guy on earth? Any experience like this? Please help.

Ps: The basses have no problem with normal jacks.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Sounds like a bad unit maybe ???
    I used a G90 for 7+ yrs on both guitar and bass with no issues at all..
    Recently upgraded to the Senn D1.
    Couldn't be happier.

Plenty of folks on here with positive experiences with G30, 50, 70 series

MattLou likes this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    It requires an adapter cable to work with an active bass. Check the threads about it here...

Jhengsman, AlexanderB and MattLou like this.
  4. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks for the inputs.
    Yes you are right RoadRanger. I gave a search and I've learnt that it is a common polarity issue. It is not a defective unit.

First I unpacked it and tested the strat. The result is great. No classic single coil hum as a plus. Unbelievable.

Then I've learnt that it is a reverse polarity issue. I don't have a female-to-male adaptor currently. Then I found a strange and funny test method with the tools on hand. I am sharing the pics:) Funny but worked. 20170427_021028.jpg 20170427_015554.jpg 20170427_015733.jpg 20170427_015754.jpg

G&L responded flawlessly. No problem. Ibanez Sr1005 worked as well but with a slight and constant hiss in the deep. I think my tech can fix it. I will try the soldering method to reverse the polarity.

Thanks again and stay in tune.

5. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Umm - pretty sure it is NOT a polarity problem. The problem is that an active bass requires a TS plug to turn it on and the G10 has a TRS plug (used to charge it). The adapter needed is just what you "made", a TS jack for the G10 to a TS plug for the active bass. I think Line6 will send you one (in short cord form) if you ask?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    AlexanderB, Blue Dragon and MattLou like this.
  6. I thought Line6 was including the adapter in the box as of a few months ago. Maybe you received old stock.

MattLou likes this.
  7. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    Line6 says so I think.
    Please check this:
    ATTENTION G10 OWNERS... - Relay Digital Wireless - Line 6 Community

8. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Line6 used to be a great company. Hey, I suppose if switching the ring and sleeve contacts on you guitars "fixes' the problem go for it - but check to make sure it doesn't end up making your guitar's battery permanently on.

The "right" solution:
    http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/13_cd.pdf

MattLou likes this.
  9. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks a lot. I will take this to my luthier.

10. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon

Jan 4, 2016
    Yeah, I think RoadRanger nailed it here. The G10 I bought a month ago did come with an adapter in the box, though in my case it didn't need it. It works fine on my active Ibanez as well as my other two passives no problem. My guess is yours is old stock that didn't include the adapter. Your rig resolves the problem because there's no "ring" on the adapter to cause problems. Gonna look awfully funky though! :)

MattLou likes this.
  11. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    None of the adapters solved my problem unfortunately. Both Ibanez Sr1005e Prestige and G&L L2000 produce a high pitch noise severely that makes them impossible to play.

I took them to my luthier-tech and he told me that if we reversed the polarity they could make the same noise with a normal cord this time. We tried it and guess what; he was right! We reversed the polarity to the original situation.
    (I took a printout of the scheme RoadRanger sent with me too. Thanks again btw)

Result; I can't use the G10 and I'm trying to return it. I read in many forums that G10 can be problematic with very well known brands such as Gibson, Taylor, Ibanez and G&L in active bass guitar area. I checked the box carefully and there is not any warning on the box that way. It is a default of design I think. Pity that I had loved the form factor of it.

I hope the store will accept the return.

Thanks for the inputs fellow musicians.

tfer likes this.
  12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    That sucks.

I'm happy with my G30, because I love how the receivers fit on my pedalboard. Because of how well they work, I would never have guessed that such a flaw would slide through on the G10.

kikstand454 likes this.
  13. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    It's not a flaw, but a design choice to recharge through the same jack for user convenience, not a separate one like a micro usb port. I just don't think Line6 engineers thought it through, and their testing prior to releasing was difficient.

Line6 would have been better to include an inductive charge base like one of my electric shavers had.

When the G10 first came out, I wanted to get one but did some research on how it works and fuctions. Then ran into that advisory by Line6 which cemented my decision not to purchase one.

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I never looked deeply into the G10. My wireless needs were solved with the G30, but I could easily see the appeal of the G10's design.

It's too bad that Line6 decided that this design 'feature' was acceptable for release.

15. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    My son's guitar instructor has a G50. I was out roaming all over neighborhood testing it. Surprised at the range and the clarity given that there is far too much wifi in all the homes.

I need band steering to send all of our stuff to 5ghz because 2.4ghz is overcrowded. I live in the same neighborhood.

tfer likes this.
  16. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    to my knowledge, there's nothing wireless - either instrument, mic or IEM wise - in the 5Ghz band. It's all 2.4 on the inbound instrument side 4-600Hz for mic and IEM's..
    But yes.. I agree.. Our band network - for band member IEM mix control and FOH (when we need it) is dual band, and we all use 5Ghz.
    Since we moved to it.. FOH nor IEM mix devices don't drop and we have plenty of open frequencies to pick from..

17. MattLou

MattLou

Dec 23, 2016
    Hi all.

İ returned the G10 back and the distributor company told me that they would gather all the G10s in the 'country' and send them back to Yamaha, after my situation.

What Yamaha? It is a line6 product!
    Oh yeah. Yamaha bought them:)

Then I added a $15 (approx.) and they gave me a G30 which makes me extremely satisfied. No noise, no dropout, no problem at all. Oh yes, it killed my 2.4 ghz wi-fi at first until I learn how to make a channel management in the router. I also gigged with it and had no problem.

G10 is a good idea but not a sophisticated product yet.

I wanted to give you all my fellow musicians a feed back. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

kikstand454 and s0c9 like this.