Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wireless system

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B@ssT, Jun 15, 2003.

1. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    Hello,
    I use an Sennheiser wireless system (series 100)on my bass-system (musicman stingray 5 and fender marcus miller jazz bass with line6 basspod pro or Trace elliot GP12SMX on a qsc plx 3402 and an eden D410XLT), and I have an enormous difference in volume (less) when I use the wireless system. Is this normal or has it something to do being both active basses?????

Thanks in advance,

B@ssT:confused:

2. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Could be your transmitter needs a new battery or you're out of range of the receiver.

3. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I tried several new 9v batteries an d tried it also standing just on 2 metres, so that would be strange...

4. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    I have no idea then what the problem could be, I don't actually own a wireless unit.

5. If you wireless is anything like mine ( I have an older Samson Concert ) it has gain controls both the transmitter and on the reciever. If the reciever is turned all the way up, check the transmitter for its gain setting. It may be set too low.

6. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    I tried turning it all way up, but still not satisfied...:(

B@ssT

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i had a samson wireless and had that same problem. i had way less volume, and it was bad when i used a 60 watt combo for gigs, then i had no stage volume. and i could never fix it, nw batteries, all the knobs etc; but fortunatly i lost the cable that goes from the bass to the transmitter.

problem solved! :D

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Is the tone different?
    Is the sound squished?
    Does it lack bottom end?

Most wireless systems I have tried either change the tone (usually less deep lows) or squash the sound. Many wireless systems on the market have specs from 50hz up. This basically kills the fundamental of everthing from the Low B (30hz) to the A (55hz). Some people don't miss it as many Speaker cabinets don't produce the low frequencies below 50hz well.
    If you go looking for a new wirless look at both the frequency response range and the signal to noise ratio. If you want better deep lows then you want the first number in the frequency response to be lower (30hz is a low B on a 5 string). The bigger the signal to noise ratio the less squished your dynamics will be (120db is excellent).
    I have tried a couple of digital wireless systems that kept both my tone and dynamics - but they were very expensive.

9. B@ssT

B@ssT

Jun 11, 2003
    Belgium
    could you name some of those models?
    I own an sennheiser ew 100 diversity receiver

10. I recently purchased a Shure ULX/S Digital UHF Wireless unit. It has programable channels (adds flexibility when playing different areas), and the audio frequency response of the transmitter is 25-15,000Hz. Since I run a pretty "Hi-Fi" cab and am (fairly) particular about my sound, I went with this unit for the two points I sighted above. I paid $575 for it at Guitar Center as part of a "package" with some other gear.

If anything, I've noticed my sound to be FULLER (louder, etc...) when running the wireless (my previous Shure UT unit included) when compared to my cable (Monster Bass 500). A few minutes switching back and forth (between cable/wireless) and adjusting the out-put control on the transmitter and I was able to even out the volume difference between the two.

So, if something like this is in your price range I would strongly suggest it. If you're looking for something that is going to give you this kind of performance, expect to pay $500-$700 (or MORE!). Look on E-Bay and you might be able to find some deals. You deffinately want to go with a UHF unit at the very least.

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Or you can get lucky and find somebody who is temporarily insane and selling an Xwire. The guy I got mine from wanted it back a year later. Not gonna' happen.;)