1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless systems for click and backing tracks

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BillSp, May 2, 2017.

1. BillSp

BillSp

May 8, 2014
    I'm in a band that's still in the start up stage but due to the very thick arrangements with synths and electronics, it seems pretty clear that we will need to perform with backing tracks. Right now in practice, the drummer uses a very long headphone extension to reach the PC the singer/guitarist controls. For many of these songs, it makes sense that I too have a click in my ear because they are bass driven or start with only bass and backing tracks leaving me quite exposed without a click. The long term goal is to add another guitarist and maybe they'll want a click as well. So the question is, what are some systems that you have used or would recommend for sending click and back tracks to multiple receivers that I, the drummer and potentially two more musicians would listen in on?

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    With a click, I assume you are all IEM?
    We have [sometimes - depending on the drummer] run the click into the consoles monitor mix and let each band member adjust to taste.
    With others, only the drummer got it.
    In bands that I know that use tracks, it's always the drummer that controls the start/end, often with the click sync'd to the track (or vice versa) using something like Ableton Live.
    Like most things, there's plenty of choices.. most based on budget :)

3. BillSp

BillSp

May 8, 2014
    As of right now the setup for rehearsals has been an interface with two outputs. One output has the tracks, the other has the tracks and a click. What I imagine we would need is some sort of transmitter and 2 maybe more receivers with headphones for the drummer and myself.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    So... What are you using to monitor right now? More details might help with better responses.

Any digital console should be handle both those outputs (as inputs) on the mixer and set up to route the trax+click only to your monitor mix - and trax only going to FOH!
    If you both want to hear the SAME mix (which is unlikely), then yes, a wireless transmitter with two receivers will work.
    You both might want your own system so there are no "ownership" issues if the band splits.
    Plus, with your own system, you can control your own mix, and if you buy a stereo wireless.. pan channels left/right for better quality monitoring.
    My drummer puts ALL his drums in his IEM mix, and has ZERO bass guitar (I don't know why).
    I have lots of bass, but only kick, hat and snare.. I don't need OH's, cymbals or toms to do my job on stage.

5. BillSp

BillSp

May 8, 2014
    Well as of right now in rehearsals, the drummer has over the ear headphones to hear click and can barely hear us so that's an issue in itself. Other than that, the guitarist and I just listen to everything through PA monitors. There's not really anything to go off of right now, the system needs to be built from the ground up. In another band I've experienced playing a venue where the FOH told our singer he wouldn't set up his IEM. The idea behind sending click and tracks all on our end before reaching FOH was to avoid that potential issue.

6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Then you need to do something like we do.. that insulates you from FOH.
    What we do is NOT the only approach, but one that works for us.
    We have a [rack mount] splitter snake that we connect everything to - CLICK, drums, vox, guitars, etc.
    Similar to the one in the pic below..
    We use our own mics, DI's, etc. 99.99% of the time.
    sarmss-16x530_1000_3__480x480.
    One leg of that split goes to FOH, the other goes to our IEM mixer (X32 rack).
    The X32 is connected to a dual-band wireless router that lets us control both our IEM mixes and the entire mixer via tablet, phone or other device.
    The outputs of the mixer go to the wireless IEM transmitters (Senn G3's).

upload_2017-5-5_9-38-2.

What this does is insulate us from FOH and removes the need for them to control our IEM mixes.
    If they ain't the way we like/need them, it's OUR fault, NOT theirs.
    We can control the entire mix.. not just levels... from EQ, compression, gates and effects, on EACH channel, to what we want in each STEREO mix.
    It's a small footprint rack and goes with us to every gig.
    The snake splitter is housed in the back of the rack in the pic above, so you can't see it.

Yes, there's an expense involved, but my IEM mix remains the same for EVERY gig, no matter the location, and I can tweak it myself (if needed).. with FOH being involved.

The setup time is pretty quick..
    You would normally run all your mics, etc to FOH anyway. With this approach you will [instead] always connect them into the SAME channel on the splitter snake.
    For example.. kick will always be Ch-1.. Bass on CH-9.
    If FOH wants kick on Ch-11, and Bass on CH-10, then you take the CH-1 split and connect it to FOH CH-11, and split CH-9 and put it into FOH CH-10. Simple.
    In your IEM mix, CH-1 will always be kick and CH-9 will always be Bass.
    Changing levels, effects, etc has ZERO impact on FOH, and ANYTHING FOH does to FOH, has ZERO impact on your mix.

You can also use this setup for rehearsals, so you would be very comfortable with the setup at gigs. Note that you don't have to use an X32.. there's lots of other rack mount digital mixers. But that was our choice given price/features.

Hope this was useful.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    johnnyplaysbass likes this.
  7. BillSp

BillSp

May 8, 2014
    That's a great setup! Gives me a lot to consider that I hadn't before. Thanks for the help. I may come back to this thread with more questions after rehearsal with the band tomorrow.

8. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    What's worked in the past with several bands is the drummer has a mini mixer and feeds the tracks into it and he gets the click and sends the track to the mixer. Also you feed him back his own monitor send to his mixer and he can balance them to his taste. That way he gets everything he needs.

9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Yep.. keeps the drummer happy. As I mentioned in my post above... LOTS of solutions out there. Ours is a "whole band" solution for IEM's and separating that from ANY FOH control.
    The plus, with a Behringer digital console, is that one can also use their "wired" solution and chain/cascade their P16-M units (like Avioms) directly off the back of the console to each band member. Lots of options..
    Wireless is less setup and much more plug-n-play than other solutions we looked at.
    YMMV

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    RichardCranium likes this.
  10. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I've posted my tribute band's setup in another thread but with my other band on some shows we run our own sound and I have the Mackie DL1608 with a router and everyone has an iPhone or iPad to run their own IEM mix. I clip the main iPad to my mic stand to run FOH and my IEM mix. It's not that hard once you figure it out.

s0c9 likes this.
  11. BillSp

BillSp

May 8, 2014
    My drummer is not technologically... capable... haha. The singer running the laptop has worked for us so far. We mostly have to figure out a mixing system that works for us before FOH. We're all have a strong DIY mentality. The setup you posted earlier has helped.