wireless systems HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by lewibassist, Jun 2, 2003.

1. IM lookin for the best wireless system around.im realy unsure about getting one because i dont want to buy a crap one and it ruin my sound or to keep fading ive been looking at shure but i wanna know what u guys think and what are your experiences with wirless systems and what you would recomend.thx

Peace lewi :(
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    As I've recommended in the 1,527 identical posts before, always look at the frequency response. A low B is 31 hz, so you're looking for something that goes down to 30 hz or lower if you play a five-string. A low E is 40 hz, so behave accordingly. Shure makes a number of units that go down to 20 or 25 hz. I'd get only a UHF diversity unit. Their UT series is good, the UHF LX series is good. AKG's Guitar Bug goes down to 40 hz and is very convenient.

I'd avoid Samson, Nady and other cheese-weenies.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I can see why you'd avoid Nady Munj, but why Sampson?
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Several people have posted about, and been happy with, the Samson Airline Bass. I tried it briefly and was disappointed, great loss of detail in the sound, and quite noisy too. Maybe I got a bad unit, but I'm staying away from Samson too. When it comes to wireless I actually think you get what you pay for, there is no really good cheap product. Buy expensive (read: Shure).
  5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Someone may have went into a detailed discussion somewhere on this piece of equipment, but I can't find many reviews on the Sennheiser 1092. Basically, either this one ($300), or the Shure UT14($370)are in my price range. What would you do and why? The published freq range is 20Hz to 15KHz for the Sennheiser.
  6. Yes yes yes!!! The Sennheiser 1092 is a total Godsend for bass players. It was a system that originally sold for about $1000, but they couldn't justify the price after complaints started surfacing about drop outs. The frequency range (900-925 MHz) is right up there with Digital Cable. So in really big cities like LA or New York, dropouts were a big problem. But in smaller cities everywhere, no problems. Long range, no external antennas, great sound, durable body pack, rackmountable, carry case, man, it's a great thing. I have tested it against everything we have here at GC (UT14, ULXS/14, AKG bug, Sennheiser EW172, Digital Reference DR2500 and DR1500, and Audio Technica ATW311) and it still out performs all of them when it comes to low-end sound.

I can't keep enough of them in the store. I sell about 1 every 3 days or so.

Rock on