1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wireless Systems

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AndianaJones, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Shure GLDX16

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Line 6 G50

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Sennheiser EW D1

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. AndianaJones

AndianaJones

Nov 16, 2017
    I currently have an old first generation Sennheiser wireless rackmount system. It works ok, but once in a while I get some interference. The other downfall from what I understand is that it can’t be used in Europe due to the frequencies it operates on. So I’m looking to upgrade. Portability is important to me for traveling overseas. I’ve got it narrowed down to the Line 6 G50 and the Shure GLXD16. I’ve scoured the internet, and can’t really find any good modern comparisons as it pertains to BASS guitar. Obviously my first priority is reliability (no dropouts), but sound is very important to me as well. So I’m looking for any modern, real world experience/opinions on these two models. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You can add the Sennheiser D1 to your list.. been using it a while with out issue... And it's auto-sensing, so I never have to pick or change the channel.

WayneP likes this.
  3. Why G50 and not G70? Having used both (as well as G90, G30, and the old X2), I would spend the extra on the G70. Better all metal housings on both the transmitter and receiver, lower latency, tuner, XLR/DI out, etc. It's built like a frackin tank, totally transparent tone, and very reliable. (All the L6 models sound just as good/clear as a cable though so on that front you won't be disappointed with any of them.) I can't comment on the D1 or GLXD16 because I've never used them personally but everything I've read about them says they're just as good as the L6 stuff. Hard to go wrong here!

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention another big plus of the G70 over the G50, standard 1/4" cables! No special TA4F to 1/4" cable needed!

hbabels and walterw like this.
  4. AndianaJones

AndianaJones

Nov 16, 2017
    The reason I was choosing the G50 over the G70 is because I read a lot of reviews saying that the G70 has a lot of dropout issues and the the G50 didn’t. Maybe that was when they first came out and have since fixed the issue?

5. I haven't had any drop outs on my G70, I did have
    Could be. I've had no issues with dropouts with mine, 2+ years now. There have been some firmware updates so maybe that was addressed.

6. AndianaJones

AndianaJones

Nov 16, 2017
    Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve looked into this unit and it seems to be a viable contender.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, the G70/75 had an issue when it was first released that was fixed with a firmware update. (too bad, seems like they never achieved their deserved market share afterwards because of that bad first impression)

my G75 works great, a big improvement over my old G50 in every way.

8. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I moved from the G50 to the G70 and I haven’t had any dropout issues. It’s been better for me in every way than the G50.
    I highly recommend the G70!

9. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Because of the FCC and what seems like the constant frequency shifts we've encountered here, I went with an Audio-Technica System 10. I use it all the time and haven't had a single issue with dropouts or connectivity, at least not out here in the hinterlands of South Texas. While YMMV depending on local, the frequency jumping and predictability really seems to work exactly as AT says in their product info. And $299 didn't hurt too bad.

Aidil likes this.
  10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    To the OP - based on my reading on this forum, you'll find the GLXD16 to be pretty popular.
    At that price-point, I'd say there very little (if any) difference between the various models being considered.
    Much boils down to personal preference, and folks mostly complain about batteries or plastic pieces that broke off, or getting dropouts, etc.
    Dropouts are mostly due to interference, and understanding your options (which channel to use?) can help reduce that.. Scan for the best open channel in the venue, make sure you don't conflict with bands mates, and go with that.
    Dropouts can also occur if you use wireless IEM's and your bodypaks are too close together.
    Staying educated on wireless, available frequencies, interference from TV stations, the crowded 2.4G band, and so on... can make life a breeze when using wireless.
    Bad battery doors breaking and other stuff IS a fact of life with any device, and yes.. . you DO get bad units from EVERY vendor.
    YMMV.

hbabels likes this.
  11. vstrode

vstrode

Feb 2, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Stay away from the Line 6 G30. I have one and it drops out and I know another bass player who has one and it drops out. Not a fan of Line 6....

12. AndianaJones

AndianaJones

Nov 16, 2017
    Well, I ended up going with the Sennheiser EW D1. So far I haven’t had any issues with it, and it doesn’t seem to color my tone much. I’ll check in later with a better review once I’ve gotten some more time with it, especially when touring outside of the US.

s0c9 and Rev. Cornelius like this.
  13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Shure

14. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Sorry to resurrect this one but I'm curious if either of you have random micro-spurts of static interference with your EW D1-Ci1? I've had this since August and I've only been able to successfully use it twice and I can't tell if there is something in the venues we play, something in our band setup, or the system itself that is causing it. It's not constant but it's a random and it's apparent when it happens. Signal strength is always good when it happens as well. Just curious.

15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    No, not experienced it at all.. The device is supposed to auto-swap between the best 2.4G channels.

16. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    It does autoswap and that's adding to my frustration as there is very little on the user end that I can do to try and trouble-shoot it. I just submitted an inquiry to Sennheiser so we'll see what comes of it. Thank you!

17. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    The only thing I can suggest - other than a defective unit - is to confirm if the 2 times you have used were at the same venue.
    If so.. either interference or a power issue...
    If not, possibly defective unit as I've used MY unit at MANY venues (alongside 2 * L6 2.4G units on stage) without issue.

18. nateynate

nateynate Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    I've been rockin' a G50 for years, using it for upright bass, electric bass, electric and acoustic guitar, and sometimes even to run a powered speaker far away from the mixer without having to run a cable. Never any significant problems with dropouts / etc.

I also use a MiPro 909 digital wireless IEM setup, and never really have any problems with interference.

As others have said, the key is knowing your gear. Know how to identify when its something at the venue causing interference and know how to adjust your channels to get the best performance.

I haven't upgraded to the G70 simply because I don't need many of the new features. I have a Noble DI and a great tuner already in my setup. I do like the fact the new models have 1/4" inputs.

s0c9 likes this.
  19. AndianaJones

AndianaJones

Nov 16, 2017
    I haven’t had any issues with mine. It’s been working flawlessly. I don’t have enough experience with it though to offer up any advice as to what your problem could be other than what s0c9 has already suggested. Let us know if you get it figured out.

20. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've used 1 for 10 years or longer and 2-3 times a week and never a drop out. Works flawlessly every time.