Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless with a synth?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Jan 29, 2002.

1. :confused: could i use a wireless setup with a bass synth? :confused:

would i still have the wire going down to the synth, or would i be able to send it all through the air to a rack?

(i don't know anything about wireless kits, so all help is appreciated.)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm....probably depends on how strong your arm muscles are - how far do you think you could throw a keyboard? :D

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably not.

If you're talking about the Boss SYB-3, Akai Deep Impact or those other monophonic, single-VCO gadgets that have notoriously poor tracking abilities, you'd want to put a cable between your bass and them. These devices need a strong fundamental frequency in order to work, and wireless systems often cut off frequencies below 100 Hz.

If you're talking about some type of Midi or divided-pickup device like the Yamaha or Axon Midi converters, these are all proprietary, 13-pin cabled systems. You will be tethered to a rack whether you like it or not.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had this theory where I would place my keyboard on a desk chair, and send the signal through a wireless to an amp, and then I could scoot around the stage. But then I remembered that I need AC power, and they don't make wireless adaptors for those. Such is life.

5. :confused:

where does the keyboard come into it?

and what does VCO stand for?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    VCO = voltage controlled oscillator. The heart of all subtractive analog synthesizers; it's what generates pitch in these devices. The SYB-3 and Akai pedals use them (or their digital counterparts, not surprisingly called DCOs).