1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless with a synth?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Jan 29, 2002.

1. :confused: could i use a wireless setup with a bass synth? :confused:

would i still have the wire going down to the synth, or would i be able to send it all through the air to a rack?

(i don't know anything about wireless kits, so all help is appreciated.)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm....probably depends on how strong your arm muscles are - how far do you think you could throw a keyboard? :D

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Probably not.

If you're talking about the Boss SYB-3, Akai Deep Impact or those other monophonic, single-VCO gadgets that have notoriously poor tracking abilities, you'd want to put a cable between your bass and them. These devices need a strong fundamental frequency in order to work, and wireless systems often cut off frequencies below 100 Hz.

If you're talking about some type of Midi or divided-pickup device like the Yamaha or Axon Midi converters, these are all proprietary, 13-pin cabled systems. You will be tethered to a rack whether you like it or not.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had this theory where I would place my keyboard on a desk chair, and send the signal through a wireless to an amp, and then I could scoot around the stage. But then I remembered that I need AC power, and they don't make wireless adaptors for those. Such is life.

5. :confused:

where does the keyboard come into it?

and what does VCO stand for?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    VCO = voltage controlled oscillator. The heart of all subtractive analog synthesizers; it's what generates pitch in these devices. The SYB-3 and Akai pedals use them (or their digital counterparts, not surprisingly called DCOs).