1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wireless with active electronics

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bmandug, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Bmandug

Bmandug

Nov 18, 2016
    I have a Line 6 Relay G55 wireless for my Bass. It doesn't play well with my Basses that have "Active" electronics. It cuts in and out all the time. I know the jacks in an active Bass are different, but I don't see were they sell wireless cables for Basses that have active electronics. Has anyone else come across this problem?

2. Bmandug

Bmandug

Nov 18, 2016
    I don't own any passive Basses...lol. But I did buy an upgraded cord for my wireless and got the same results. I know an active bass jack is usually a three pronged jack and passives are two. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Sorry.. but that's not even remotely accurate.. Wireless on active vs passive basses are no different.. both types use a single TS (mono) 1/4" jack on the bass end with the wireless body pack end varying based on vendor.
    If you are getting drop-outs with your G55.. it's NOT the bass being active or passive that's causing it.
    It's most likely interference from other 2.4Ghz devices at the venue - even other band members! It's a busy spectrum!
    Check the body pack is not set to low power.. chose a different channel and see if the problem goes away. Check the RF level indicator when playing - during sound check. That should give you an idea of interference levels.
    Try channel 12.. as most 2.4 Ghz stuff runs on channels 1 thru 11.
    I would also TURN OFF and cable tone settings you may have..

Gearhead17 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  4. Bmandug

Bmandug

Nov 18, 2016
    It's not that. I can see my signal strength. It sounds more like a intermittent cable. Maybe it's just my transmitter. Time for a new unit. I just wanted to know if anyone else out there had the same problem.

5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yeah, sounds like you need a new transmitter.

See if you can borrow a similar unit to trouble-shoot your situation.

Good luck.

Bmandug likes this.
  6. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Also...you can have good signal strength, but still get stepped on and have a drop-out.

s0c9 likes this.
  7. I have a G50. Have since it came out and the X2 before that. I've used with 18volt Bartolinis and use with both my Sadowsky Modern and Vintage J passed and have turn the bass and treble ALL THE WAY UP and never had your problem.

I bet it's drop out issue.

The different in the plug of an active bass is that the jack is a stereo jack. The "ring" contact is used to connect the ground of the battery, turning on the active preamp. You'll still use a standard instrument cable.

Bmandug likes this.
  8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Unless I'm misunderstanding you.. I don't believe so.. those would be a STEREO output. All my basses are switchable active/passive and NONE require TRS jacks to turn on the active side. They all use standard guitar cables (TS - mono) connectors.

9. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    You are misunderstanding Steve...

It's a stereo jack, but the basses aren't outputting a stereo signal.

Tip to sleeve completes the audio circuit.

Tip to ring completes the 9 or 18-volt battery circuit.

What basses do you own that use TS jacks and battery switches?

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    All three of mine (2 Ibanez BTB's and a custom build with OBP3 pre) have active electronics and batteries.. all switchable on or off (surface mount toggle).. I use a TS jack on the outputs.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Oh, man, Steve, I got turned on who was responding to who. Did those basses come OEM like that?

So far, all of mine have had the TRS jacks and no switch. Typical for Fender and Music Man, I guess.

12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Yes sir they do..
    The custom build I ordered that way.. I assumed they all came like that.. I've never seen it any other way - except for stereo outputs.. mostly on geetars.

Geri O likes this.
  13. You are misunderstanding me.

Note that I DID say that you'd still use a STANDARD INSTRUMENT CABLE. It's the very last sentence.

Input/Output is all semantics. Some people call it the former, some the later. Technically it's an OUTPUT because that's the direction of signal. Some people call it the "input" because you plug the IN. Let's use our brains. What ever you call it, I was OBVIOUSLY referring to the one in the guitar. (Oh. I'm sorry. Bass.) (Bass Guitar, that is.)

Switching to passive mode in a passive/active bass does NOT power OFF the preamp. It bypasses it. If it turned off you'd hear a pop when you did. Don't believe me? Plug your bass in, put it in passive and leave it that way for a give amount of time and the battery will run down. (How long depends on a bunch of factors.) Look inside your bass, you'll see a TRS jack. This is also how it's done in every pedal and the battery drain thing is true here too.

I've had several Ibanez and worked on some. The Active basses, switchable or not, use TRS jacks. If you didn't the preamp would be powered up all the time and the battery life would suck. You'd go through 9volts like crazy.

WayneP likes this.
  14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    All Ibanez active basses, including the BTB, despite having surface active/passive or EQ on/off switch, use TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) jack on the output, like any other active basses. They require ordinary TS (Tip Sleeve) plug to short the RS (Ring Sleeve) on the output jack which turn on the active electronic.

15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Yes, yes, yes.. thanks guys.. I already stated above that I misinterpreted the TRS jack to mean a STEREO jack being connected to the bass's output. I know active's USE a TRS jack for the circuitry.
    thanks..