Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Hey, I don't know about you guys, but I am tired of Instrument cords lying around during my bands practice and I am looking in to a wireless for my bass. Do you guys like them, are the handy to have. If you guys like them give me some ideas on brands, and if you prefer the body pack or the plug in system.

Thanx!!!

SHALOM!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do a search. You want one with audio response down to at least 30 hz. The Shure UT or Access UHF units are among the few that do this. They're about $350. Anything cheaper than that is likely to bum you completely out. Otherwise, they're bitchen.

3. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey Thumper.

I have an audio-technica unit. Not the best unit in my opinion, but I find as long as I stay within 50-75 feet the unit works great. I don't know about you, but I don't normally go out into the crowd, and the stages we play on aren't all that big. It's just a blast walking around and jamming with the drummer and our rythm guitarist without worrying about tripping anyone (especially me!!).

Incidentally, I went with it because of the price - about $150.

Go wireless!!!!! it's fun.
    C

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The Shure "UT" or Access or whatever its called, the one that Munji posted about is the one I've most commonly seen being used by bassplayers. Its one of the few units that go below 50hz.

I have my own question about wireless systems. I heard someone say that you shouldn't put a wireless receiver in the same rack as your amp. Does anyone have experience with this?

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am using a Shure wireless system. I would never go back to using a cord after being wireless for the last year and a half. Once you go wireless, you'll never go back..........................

Later
    Ryan

6. A mate of mine who is studying the same course as i am, went and bought a FM transmitter for a pair of wireless headphones he scored. I asked if that could be used in a guitar/band situation and theoretically he reckons it would. All you would need is a transmitter that was compatible. Hell i dunno but seeing as its only cost him $30 so far i aint complaining. lol

I'd love to go without a cord even for one rehearsal...

Merls

7. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Good news, good news!

I will be beta testing a BASS GUITAR wireless for a manufacturer within the next month or so.

Net-don't buy a wireless until this badboy comes out.

For those with wireless systems know, there are infinite problem. Most of them are related to the fact that they weren't built for guitar, much less, BASS.

A good example would be players tha max out the onboard preamp to get a J bass "Fart" sound.

Anyhew, I don't know much detail other than I'll be using it.

So, it's keep ya posted.

retail should be around $1200........

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry - didn't read the other threads here, and I don't know if this is gonna be much help, but I have some wireless experience and wanted to share it.

Cheap ones suck (I had one for a while), if you stand more than 20 feet away there's a delay between your fingers and the amp, plus mine cut out every now and then. Only used it about 2 times then sold it.

One of the guys in my cover band has a lot of money, so he bought a couple of fairly expensive ones for the 2 of us (I think around $400 each). They work pretty well, but we hardly ever use them. It costs me for a new Duracell every other time we play, plus most of the places we play there's not much room to move around anyhow. I'm also not into the hassle of setting the whole thing up - I kinda like to just plug in and play. I really thought I'd use it all the time, but I don't.

Maybe if I dropped the 4 bills on it as opposed to him I'd make sure I used it all the time. :p

Just my experience.