Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by joetiii, Feb 19, 2005.

1. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Anybody use a wireless guitar setup?

Any ideas as to which ones are best for Bass?

I hear VHF cuts out and UHF is better, but I'm not sure if its atrue or not..

Comments :bassist:
  2. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a Shure UHF. I play in a cover band, and I once wandered out of the bar we were playing in over to the other side of the street in Galveston (Strand). We were playing along, no dropouts. The time delay is awesome, though, if you do this, be prepared to anticipate! Highly recommended!
  3. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Both VHF and UHF can cut out under the right circumstances.

When I first started playing live again, I had picked up a Shure VHF unit at one of Guitar Centers big clearance sales. It sounded ok and I never had a spot of trouble with it.

Later, at another big GC sale, I picked up the discontinued Sennheiser Digital 1000, UHF, which is supposed to be bassed on the X-wire wireless technology. it is a great unit, and I like it so much I bought a second one. It has never dropped out on me at any time.

Remember though, the reason for the proliferation of the UHF models is that the VHF airwaves are getting more and more crowded, so the natrual progression was into the higher UHF bands.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not really recording releted, so I'm moving to Misc.

I use a Samson Airline bass wireless. It's good.
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I have a Shure VHF and it has never failed me. Use it occasionally with mandolin in one band and bass in another.
  6. My Shure UT series has never let me down, after 3 yrs of gigging. The case that they provide with their wireless system is a huge plus if you gig out.

Some insist that you must use a cable for the best tone. However, in live performance, the acoustic differences between a good vs. bad stage / room will affect your tone one hundred times more than the difference between a cable and a decent wireless unit.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The biggest concern I see about wireless is always low end response (in relation to 5 strings+).

I hear the Shure UHF is quite good about retaining low end.
  8. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mine rocks, I can tell you. I play 5-7 strings (usually not all at once, though~! ;) ) and it is virtually indistinguishable to my ears whether it robs anything at all from the low end. You'd be hard pressed to find a better unit, IMHO...
  9. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    Nady has a VHF 200 which is specifically designed for Bass. More headroom, and a control to govern punch. Anyone ever try one?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just got an AKG Diversity Guitar bug system (WMS40) from ebay (stole it really). It's UHF and has virtually no fallout or gets interference from our guitar player even out to 150 feet.

I play a lot of funk, jazz, and gospel and I haven't had any problems with it handling the "B", either.
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I agree! I have 2 units. A Samson UHF and an Audio Technica UHF. Both kill the low end response when converting back to analog from digital. I recommend getting a unit geared for the bass as opposed to a general guitar wireless unit if you really need to have one. I gave mine up. I'll stick to instrument cables.
  12. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA

I have owned both a Samson VHF and a Samson UHF, both designed for those funny-looking little six string bass wannabes. ( ;) ) Neither unit handled my low B very well. Not saying that Samson makes a substandard unit. Both guitar players I sold my units to love them to pieces. They just didn't work very well for me. I am back to a cord and don't wander much. I am happy. :D
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No problem whatsoever with the low B here.

Compared to a chord, there is a bit of a diffrence in the sound at about 3-4K, but it's only noticable when slapping. And it's not enough of a difference to make me worry.