Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wireless?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by darkfish01, Feb 23, 2005.

1. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    My band wants to get a wireless system (mostly me), and we're looking for one with four channels. I was curious if anyone knew of a cheap and reliable wireless system with at least four channels. Thanks!

2. I would stick with a wired system unless you want to spring for more than a "cheap" system. I have a Nady wireless unit for my bass (paid about $100 for it), and while it works, you lose too much tone with it. I think that is what you will encounter with most "cheap" wireless units.

3. I think he's talking about in-ear monitor systems.
    There are a lot of companies that are making them,
    but none of them are what I'd call "cheap"(affordable).
    My band has also talked about going this route.
    It seems like the word is, if you do it, do it right.
    In other words, make sure you're getting a reliable
    system. From the research I've done, the systems
    that have a "personally molded" earpiece are preferred.
    I know that doesn't help the "cheap" (affordable) part,
    but it's all I can offer.
    Good Luck.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Cheap, reliable. Pick one, can't have both!

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IMO you'd be better off saving up and then spending a little extra money on a good wireless unit.

The cheaper ones usually don't reproduce the bass guitars frequency range accurately, they also pose a greater deal of unwanted interpherance, and signal loss.

6. You must have been really unlucky in the Unit you bought. I got a second-hand Nady wireless system off eVilBay two years ago, and there is absolutely NO difference in sound. I don't know whether the fact that it's a two-channel setup makes any difference, but everyone I have worked with has commented on the sound being the same, with or without the transmitter. On odd occasions, the battery has gone flat, in the middle of the Set (Yes,I know I should have checked it!) and I have had to plug in very quickly with a normal lead, hence the instant comparison. Try asking friends, colleagues, or even your local Music Shop to loan you one, so you can try before you buy. That way you can find out if there is any loss in tone with your setup, before you buy something you may find unsatisfactory.

7. I don't know...maybe I should take a look at it again, but frankly I think a wireless unit is a bit unnecessary (at least in our band). We don't get to wild with the running around and stuff, and it's just one more "link in the chain" which can be potentially problematic.

8. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    If you are referring to a wireless system for your guitar, there are a lot of brands out there. Most of them are good and not very expensive. A good system by Samson, or Nady can be picked up for less than $300. I like the instrument wireless system for freedom of movement and I don't ever have to worry about stepping on my guitar cord.

If you are referring to In Ear Monitors, there are good ones and horrible ones. The 2 main vendors of quality IEM are Shure and Sennheiser. Also you should invest in molded ear-pieces. They don't come cheap.

I have the Sennheiser EW 300 IEM with the Sensaphonics molded earphones. Total investment about $1500. Well worth it. I am the only one in my band using them. And everyone else has problems with tinitus. Our guitar player recently had to get a hearing aid.