Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Hobbes, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a decent wireless system for bass. I run the sound for the band I'm in so it would certainly help for going walkabouts around the room when we're soundchecking (plus it would give me one less lead to trip over!!!).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone might have.
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I use the Audio Technica 601G. It's not the fanciest of them all, but it only cost ~$250 new and I got one on eBay for $75. It has 10 channels you can choose from and I've never had any dropouts from it after using it for close to a year. I forgot to say that it is a UHF model and it has two antenna instead of just one.
  3. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I have a NADY system I got off ebay for $120. Works great!
  4. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    The Samson Airline system is great. There is no belt pack. The transmitter is very small and attached to the plug. It uses 1 triple A that I replace after 4-5 gigs.
  5. I have used the samson one once. i didn;t like it too much. it seemed to cut out on me during our set. i only used it onc ebecause the guitarist like 25 min before we went on said hey why dont u get a wireless aswell then we can walk in through the back doors playing. and so i did. i don;t know it just didn;t impress me. as much as i only payed 8$ to rent it for a day, it didn't seem worth the 375$ price tag(canadian dollars.)
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have an old cheap Samson VR-1 that I bought for around $50 that works just fine.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have the AKG UHF Diversity system (2 antennas) w/ guitar bug instead of the battery pack. It automatically searches for free channels to braodcast on so it eliminates conflicts with my guitartists and vox.

The listed range is 50 yards and I've had it out past 30 with absolutely no dropouts. Handles my B like a champ. I got mine off Ebay from fellow TB'er Freakbass
  8. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tried a Carvin UHF unit a little while back, rated at 50hz or so I believe. Was reliable and easy and convenient, but sucked lows out to a point where I was reaching for my regular cable despite the wireless-less freedom.

Now I have a Shure UT14 unit (was replaced by the PGX units) and it sounds super great. If there are lows missing, it is extremely hard to notice. Very, very acceptable to me. It states an audio freq response spec of 20hz. THIS IS GOOD. I found no other wireless in the mid-price range ($200-$400) to have a 20hz rating. Not saying there isn't any, just none that I could find or was available to me. The PGX units (DESPITE WHAT THE KNOW NOTHING GC GUY CLAIMED) are at 40hz or 50hz. Even the Sampson Airline isn't 20hz...it's 50hz! I'm also not saying this is absolutely necessary, but I think we would all agree it helps. Extremely reliable. Battery life I expected to be horrible, like replacing it once a week or something, but this is not the case. I have had the unit for about a month with 2 hour practices about 2-3 times a week on average and no sign of the "low batt" light coming on. I'm replacing it today anyway. As far as distance, I can walk out of our rehearsal room and into the street (through at least 3 walls) and they report no difference in sound. Of course, YMMV due to actual physical situation. Belt pack transmitter seems solidly made and is intuitive. Easy to change battery. Receiver is a stand alone unit, only rack mountable if you have 1.5 rack spaces AND a rack shelf (or velcro to a rack unit below it). Overall, very simple to operate. Oh, and I got it for what I thought was extremely reasonable. I printed out the MF.com page and brought it to GC and they matched it at $259. The price tag at GC was $319 I believe (on sale from $349 :spit: ).

The cons for the Shure UT14 isn't a very long list but it does have me knowing once I find another wireless gem for a good price, I will pick it up. First, my biggest wish would be for the plug to be right angle. I know, I know, all those strats and precision's out there isn't worth doing this, but I feel it's far easier for them to use a right angle plug than for my MM Sterling to use a straight plug. Has me a bit worried sometimes. But ehh, whaddyagonnado. I also wish the unit was truly rack mountable (no shelf needed) into one rack space, but that is not the case. I'll live. Also had a recent weird thing regarding tuning (?!). I did away with my Sansamp BDDI for the first time and going from the wireless to my MB M-2000, the tuner wouldn't register! HUH?! The only thing that would make it register would be to turn the unit WAY up to the point of constant peak and/or plug myself into the Passive input of the amp. So I have to turn down the amp a bit, but whatever. I'm thinking the output of the wireless is a bit too low? I'll ask in another thread about this weirdosity.

ANYWAY, that's my review on the Shure UT14. I think it's a bargain. A reliable, quality bargain at that. It isn't all LCD screened-out, or digital whizzing lights, but it works and sounds good. And I was able to afford it. A winner in my book.