Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DiegoMcgee, Nov 24, 2001.

1. DiegoMcgee

Oct 20, 2001
    Providence RI
    I am very active on stage and use to
    use a samson wireless.After a couple
    mishaps I sold the unit. I'm thinking of
    going back to wireless so my Questions
    1) Is there any truth that low end
    frequencies are lost?
    2) What is the difference between uhf
    and vhf (some offer both) and
    which is better?
    3) Which is the best unit?

I had a problem with my battery pack
    on my Samson, every time I changed
    the baterry the positive and negative
    posts would stick and I would have to
    pry them up to get a ground.I move alot
    on stage and don't like having to worry about
    my battery losing it's ground live.
    jim obrien
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon

I'm currently using a Samson SR-22 VHF True Diversity system... I haven't noticed any loss of low end, though I wouldn't be surprised to find that there is some... I've 'heard' that the VHF system is better, though I don't know enough about those things to give the reasons why :(

I'm very active while playing, spending between a third and a half of the night on the dance floor and right now, I don't see how I could enjoy myself as much using a cable. The only downside with my unit is the completely inadequate latch on the battery compartment. The little plastic 'feet' broke after one fall, and now I need to use tape to hold the battery in securely. Other than that, the unit is a winner IMO...

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been using a Sennheiser Evolution 100 UHF, and couldn't be happier with it. I haven't noticed any loss of low end when A/B-ing it with a cord. It is possible that there is, but I can't seem to notice.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    A lot of wireless systems only go down to 50hz, which will cut off some of the lowest frequencies on bass.

If you live in a city, get a UHF system instead of a VHF system. If you go VHF you're likely to get a lot of interference.

The "best" wireless system is probably the X-wire digital wireless. But Sennheiser bought out X-wire so X-wires are no longer made. You can get the Sennheiser digital wireless, but the A/D D/A converters are only 16-bit as opposed to the X-wire's 20-bit.

A popular unit for bass players is the Shure UT or Access unit. Can be had for about $350 new and goes down to 20hz.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I saw John Paul Jones last night, and liked how he was doing wireless. He puts the beltpack on the portion of his strap that crosses his back. It looked as if he had a battery pack for the fretboard position marker LEDs back there, too.

Personally, I wish Samson would redesign the Airline system to go down below 50Hz. I'd buy one in a second!
  6. mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Sennheiser has ceased production of their Digital 1000 line due to quality issues. They are supposed to fix the problems and start selling them again, but they don't know when. The nicest feature of the Senn Evolution series is the number of adjustable frequencies, perfect if you do a lot of traveling or multistage gigs.

The harmonic structure of a bass guitar note has more energy in the first three harmonics than in the root. So, most of the bottom you hear in a low E (with a root of 39.97Hz) is the first harmonic at 79.94Hz. I switched from a Telex UGR that went down to 20Hz to a Sony 800-series that is only spec'd down to 100Hz, and didn't notice any loss of low end. However, when I need more lows, I use a Subharmonic Generator, which adds "harmonics" below the fundamental.

Generally, a UHF system will sound better than a VHF system simply because manufacturers have put more development into the newer UHF technology. But a GOOD VHF system should sound identical to a GOOD UHF system.
  7. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I used to use an Audio Technica 1400 series wireless. It also was rated only down to 100hz. Just running the signal straight into my head, I lost alot of that low end "thump". When I went back to a cable, all the low end came back. Make sure you try the wireless in the store before you buy it. It may affect yur sound more than you want.