Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring 2 cabs in paralell? CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jul 19, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Whats up guys. Heres the deal. Right now i have a Crate BT-350 (350 Watts@4ohms 200@8ohms) Head, that i cannot find information on anywhere. and a Peavey 4X10 TX (an 8 ohm cab) the head has 2 speaker outputs. right in between the speaker outputs it says "350 Watts @4ohms,200 @8ohms."
    Well, this really confused me. thinking that 1 output was for a 4ohm cabinit, and the other for an 8 ohm cabinit. but when i plug the cabinit into both the outputs, the volume stays the same. does this mean that that little Wattage Sticker has nothing to do with the speaker outputs? if it does, thank crate for a wonderful design.......................if it was just a label. can i plug a 8 ohm 15'inch cab for some lows? as long as it is a 8ohm cabinit? tell me if im wrong because i really need to know this stuff. would pluging in to cabinits make those to 8 ohm cabinits 4 ohm? is this what they call wiring in paralell? i hope i get an answer to this. if anybody will take the time to read this.

2. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Actually, the answer is very simple. Your amplifier will put out 200W into an 8ohm load and 350w into a 4 ohm load. Those two jacks are hooked together so you can have either one or two cabinets hooked up.

The trick is to figure out what the impedance your cabinet(s) is(are) when you have it all hooked up. Basically:

One 8 ohm cabinet = 8 ohms
    Two 8 ohm cabinets = 4 ohms
    One 4 ohm cabinet = 4 ohms
    Two 4 ohm cabinets = 2 ohms
    One 4 ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab = 2.67 ohms

Since you are using one 8 ohm cabinet, you are getting 200w. Yes, you can add a cabinet with one 15" or 18" speaker to get some lows. Just make *sure* it is an 8ohm cabinet.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    If your amp is good down to 4 ohms then you are ok with running 2 8ohm cabs ( = 4 ohms). Most amps are good for 4ohms and most have 2 speaker outs so you can run 2 8ohm cabs or 1 4 ohm cab so yes you can the 2 cabs. But this is not paralell wiring.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    AFAIK, it is parallel wiring. That's why two 8 ohm speakers would add up to 4 ohms. If the the two ouputs were wired in series, which is rarely the case on amps, putting two 8 ohm cabs together would add up to 16 ohms.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I should have clarified, I was talking about internal cab wiring as far as paralell and series. Sometimes what im thinking doesnt make it to the keyboard.