1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring 4 4ohm cab to get a 4 ohm load!???!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JonathanD, Aug 19, 2007.

1. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I am about to get 1 more acme 210 so that I have an Acme 810 :)
    Anyway, the 3 I have ar 4 ohms and the next will also be 4 ohms. I was wondering if someone would explain how I could get the amp to see them as 1 4 ohm load.

I assume I would have to take 2 of them and connect them in series and the other 2 and connect them in series. having 2 8 ohm loads and running those in parallel it would be 4 ohms... but hos do I do that!
    Jonathan

2. You could change the wiring inside to make each cab a 16 Ohm Cab, ie. change each CABINETs wiring from parallel to series, but then theres a voltage drop across to the second speaker.

Just throwing that out there, someone with more experience will chime in

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    What amp are you going to drive them with? With any good pro SR power amp you could just run two 2-ohm loads.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I could use the QSC 2402. I was just wondering in case I ever want an all tune amp just to see how limited I am.
    Jonathan

5. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Get 3 plugs and 3 speakercables. Connect the - from one plug to the - from another plug. Connect the + from the latter to the + from the the third plug. Connect the - from the third plug to the + from the first plug.

Do this twice. Now you can connect two 4 ohm cabs in series and you can do this twice.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You need to go

Amp+ to Cab1+
    Cab1- to Cab2+
    Cab2- to Amp-

Amp+ to Cab3+
    Cab3- to Cab4+
    Cab4- to Amp-

OR:

Amp+ to Cab1+
    Cab1+ to Cab2+
    Cab2- to Cab1-
    Cab1- to Cab3+
    Cab3+ to Cab4+
    Cab4- to Cab3-
    Cab3- to Amp-

So for the latter, assuming you have Series II cabs with Speakons, 1/4" and banana jacks, connect Amp+ to Cab1+ banana jack, connect Cab1- banana jack to Cab3+ banana jack, connect Cab3- banana jack to Amp-. Then connect Cab1 and Cab2 with standard Speakon or 1/4" lead, and Cab3 and Cab4 likewise.

Alex

7. I'll try to explain it a little better (no offense to O.P.)

You will need 3 pieces of wire for each cable. I used zip cord type speaker wire. Purchase two pieces at DOUBLE the length you want the cable to be.

Connect your one end as normal (1 wire to the tip, the other to the sleeve).

Seperate the wires at the other end up to about the mid point of the piece you are working with.

Connect the end that comes from the tip to the tip of another 1/4 connector.

Connect the sleeve wire to the sleeve of a 3rd 1/4 connector.

Now...............you need one single piece of wire to connect the Tip end to the other connectors sleeve.

If done right, your cable should look like a "Y" cable.

After completion, I used mini zip ties to hold the whole thing together.

Hope that helps.

8. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks guys. That answers my question just fine.
    I have the extra cable around to do it too.
    Jonathan

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Could look at a Speakermate product.

10. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Parallel-series is the way to go. there are a few examples of how to do it above. You can also have an electronic tech make you some cables for this setup.