Wiring 4 Seymour Duncan active w/dip switches

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by billengelman, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Recently bought a beatup Steinberger knockoff (Cort) that had a set of P/J Seymour Duncan active pups with the dip switches. Paid $50 'cause I figured the pups were worth that, even though the wiring was messed up and they were not working. I'd like to use just the p-bass one on a project. I've been searching for a wiring diagram but can only find one for active Basslines that uses a sterio output jack and 100K pots. Does it have to be 100k pots and a stereo jack? I've never seen a stereo jack. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
  2. The stereo jack is used as a sort of on/off switch for the pickup power. When you put a plug into it (you still use a regular old instrument cable, not stereo) it completes a circuit and allows power to flow through the pickups. It'd be pretty easy to wire, and I bet that'd whats in your Cort right now unless there's an on-off switch. Allparts.com sells them, so does stewmac.com and basspartsresource.com to name my favorites. You could probably even get one from your local guitar place. The only downside to this type of setup is that you're draining battery power whenever there's a plug in the bass, even when you're not playing. Don't worry, though, you'd still get plenty of battery life, which is why this setup is still the standard for active basses.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

stereo jack is used for active pups otherwise a mono jack can drain the battery whether you have an input plugged in or not, just not as rapidly. The setero jack has a hot, ground, and what I call a nuetral. The nuetral and ground are connected together when a plug is input but not when the plug is pulled. You can get the same drain going with a stereo jack if you cross wire the battery clip ground on a stereo jack.

Wiring is wiring. I've had the SD dip actives but been too long to recall. Most active pups have a thinner preamp lead, typically red, that runs to the hot of the battery clip. The other two wires connect like any other pup.