Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring A 2 Pickup Bass Vol / Vol / Output (no tone control)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Woofenstein, May 18, 2005.

1. I would like to remove the tone pot from one of my dual pickup basses. I would like to reduce it to vol/vol output... Could anyone point me to a diagram of how to wire this? Thanks!

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Me too!

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    That is infact an extremely easy thing to do :cool: =

1. Get two functioning potmeters,with your value of choice.
    2. Connect the "1st" lug of each pot to the back of it's housing, and solder a pin\wire from the first potmeter house to the other. (this is for grounding issues).
    3. Solder the ground wires from the pickups, and the central ground together, and attach it to one of the pot-housings.
    4. Solder a wire from the jackplugs earth lug to the potmeter housing. Now your grounding is complete.
    5. Hook the "Hot" wire from each pickup onto the middle lug on each potmeter\volume control.
    6. Solder a wire to each of the potmeters third lug, which should be unnasigned by no, if you've done everything rigth.
    7. Solder the end of the two wires together, and solder them to the jack's "hot" lug.

It's VERY easy, you see! :hyper:

Cheers,
    -Erlend (Solder Smoker)

4. Thanks for the information! It looks pretty easy... I just remembered that these pickups are active, so I'll have to have a 9V battery wired in, too. How would the battery wire in?

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    If they are EMG's, you just have to remember a couple of things....

1. Disconnect the "central ground wire"
    2. Connect the Red wire from each pickup together and solder them to the red wire on the battery clip
    3. Solder the black wire coming out from the battery clip, to the THIRD lug on the jack (you need a stereo jack).

Then it should work ;).

-Erlend