Wiring a 410 cab as a 310 for a happy tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walnut, Jan 16, 2003.

1. walnut

May 25, 2002
    This may be a dumb idea but here goes...

I have a Fender Bassman than wants to see a 4 ohm load. I have a 4x10 cab that is 8 ohms.

Could I disconnect one speaker and wire it to get a 5.3 load?

How would I wire it? (two in series, one parallel???)

The speakers are 8 ohm.

I'd kinda like to make this cab lighter anyway so what do ya think???

2. Well if the speakers are 8 ohm each you can wire them in parallel all in a chain and that should give you between 2.6 and 6 ohms depending who you talk to. Go 2-10's that would be easier. Or maybe sell it and buy a 4 ohm 410.
  3. As they say in the country, "You can't get there from here."

Each speaker is probably 8 ohms, and if you hook (2) in parallel, you'll have a 4 ohm load. If you hook (3) in parallel you'll have a 2.6 ohm load.

Just trade it in on a 4 ohm cabinet that you like. Rewiring isn't gonna do you much good.

4. walnut

May 25, 2002
    Ok, But what if I wired two in series (16 ohms)
    and one parallel to those (8 ohms)?
    Wouldn't that give me 5.3

Does anyone know how 3x10's are wired?
    The Epifani 310, for example, has a 5.3 load...
    How they do that?

5. If all (3) speakers were 16 ohms, 16//16//16 gives 5.3 ohms. That's probably how Epifani does it.

If you hook (2) 8 ohms in series to get (16) ohms and then put an 8 ohm speaker in parallel with it, then the single 8 ohm speaker will get twice the power the other series-connected speakers are getting. Not a good setup.

6. walnut

May 25, 2002
    Ok, That makes sense, I wasn't thinking about the power issue...
    Oh well.
    thanks for the input
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Besides, even if you could wire it up with three as you desire, you would lose any corresponding benefit by virtue of the loss of the surface area output of the fourth driver.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've heard alot about acoustic coupling and its benefits but don't completely understand it. Will there be a reduction in this if you take one of the 10s out of your 410 group?